Pages

Followers

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

July 29, 2014 Through Love's Eyes 1

Love ignores life's changes brought on by time and finds a bond between two souls.

Love is not a physical thing. The good looks and bedtime fun and games can't survive the test of time. Too much is placed on the physical attributes that masquerade as love. Love may begin that way but unless there is a willingness to go beyond and bond together in all things it will not survive. Give and Take, Laughter and Tears, Falling and Lifting up, Sacrifice and Gain are all a part of the bonding in love. It is a true bonding of two souls into one unified being. It is not unheard of to finish one another's sentences when this happens. Knowing one another to the Nth degree. 

 "My dear friends, let us love one another, since love is from God and everyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. Whoever fails to love does not know God, because God is love."

The New Jerusalem Bible. (1985). (1 Jn 4:7–8). New York: Doubleday.


I have been mostly absent this past week or so. My DW dropped a bombshell on me by asking me to do an image of her from her favorite photograph. Yes I did hesitate and think about it. I am honored that she would think enough of my talents, however rough they might be, to ask so I agreed. The photo she wanted me to do the image from is, in my opinion, HORRIBLE. She does not really want me to include it in my post, which is fine with me. That said a lot. Needless to say it took two tries to get it to work. She says she likes the first one too but I could tell that is not completely true. I came as close as I could. Any who, this is my draft drawing. 
Don't let this drawing fool you. It goes through quite a few changes before it is finished. The tough part of this was that there were NO HAIR FEATURES VISIBLE on the photograph. Not even my photo program would bring them out. I had to grab my magic lamp, rub hard and ask the genie what the heck do I do now? He just shrugged and said "You are on your own."













Cherokee even put his hands in the air and gave me that "leave me out of this one" look. Some friend. LOL. After a day and a half of searching the Internet for Hair style Ideas I came up with what you see on the left. I drew the rough outlines then added the details in pencil. I also added dimension to the ear ring and ear in pencil to be sure where the edges and details would be. Once that was done I followed up with a final penned in detail as you can see on the right hand side of the drawing. Whew! Now we finish the Left hand side in pen. Nice Huh?


 Next we start with coloring using Copics T6 for the Darkest spots in the hair. As we proceed it will seem as though the facial features are not correct but they are. Trust me.
Next we Fill in the hair color with T5, T4, V99, V25 and BV29. Black hair is actually very dark shades of many different colors. The sheen in bright light is often deep violet or purple. Yes, Jill had jet black hair when she was younger.
Now we use the 0 (zero) blender pen to lighten the areas that would shine in the light. It is not a cartoon shine I know but in the actual piece it is what makes it more realistic and not a cartoon.
Remember those tiny eyes that didn't seem to fit? Add some details, color (E39,T7, White uni-ball Signo) and correct ever so slightly, pen in the eyebrows, eyelashes, color the lips (R24, R22, RV21) and ear ring (atyou Spica 16 buttermilk, 19 Sand) and perfect so far.There are five more images to show since this was more complicated to color. These will be shown with minimal comment
The usual contour highlighting for deep shadow. (E01)
General color fill in contour prep. (E00)
Final skin smoothing and pre-shadow blending. (E0000)
At this point we begin shadowing with BV0000, RV00, RV0000 on the nose, cheeks, neck, chin and ears. The eyes also the eyes get a very slight shadowing with C3 to add dimension. The final image needed only small adjustments to finish it. But I've bored yo enough so here is the final image. Hope you like it.
The hair looked like someone took a large pair of shears and cut it off on the right side so I added some color E41 where the shoulders are in the photo. 

Part of the reason I agreed to do this image is because the end of August is our 51st wedding anniversary. It has been an extraordinary voyage to this point. What better way to say thank you an I Love you than this. (I know you are reading this dear and no I will not take this part out.)

I guess you have noticed that this post says "Through Love's Eyes 1) Now it's my turn. I have a favorite picture as well. It was taken on our 10th wedding anniversary just before we went to church to have our wedding blessed. It will be my next project. Thank You for stopping by and supporting me in a life long desire to do this kind of art. Until then, remember, LOVE THE DETAILS 

(Just an addendum: Jill and I met when she was 4 and I was 6. Didn't start actual dating until our teens so get your jaw off the floor. It was a long time and not one second is regretted.) 

38 comments:

  1. As I told you, I cried when I saw your finished image, and I cried again when I read the post. Thank you so much for doing this...(I think) ----Jim knows how much I hate to have my picture taken--- I am so happy that you got rid of my frizzy hair!!!
    You forgot to tell everyone that I met you when I was 4...smile...I was a child bride...(well teenage bride anyway) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, Jim! You have such talent!
    Hugs,Urška

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was just so endearing and what a true piece of art celebrating your life long love. She is a beauty. 51 years is a rare dedication to love in our life times, so HUGE CONGRATS. Looking forward to seeing your self portrait which I am sure the genie will take the same stance again.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely drawing and coloring of your beautiful wife. And, what a heart melting post. Happy upcoming 51st anniversary. I think that is the most wonderful thing ever. I thought you were going to say you and Jill married at 4 and 6. Ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Awesome drawing Jim! If your wife is as pretty as your drawing then you are a very lucky guy and so talented too!
    Hugs, Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The drawing is wonderful, and glad you 2 are so happy together, that is worth more than any riches. Regards, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing drawing and what fabulous colouring I've loved reading the build up its fascinating and what a stunner now its finished. Congratulations to you both on your 51st anniversary what an achievement. I look forward to your next masterpiece Love and Happy Crafting Hugs Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  8. what came to mind with the 1st picture was I thought It was a child. But then she transformed into a woman! I cant believe how the eyes opened up and popped with the coloring, just beautiful!!. Congrats on the 51 years that is so wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! Wonderful drawing and colouring. Your wife must be so proud. Your story reminds me of my parents' story. They were the exact same age, born on the same day and my mum was a twin. They met they day they started primary school aged 5. The boys become lifelong pals and mum and dad got together age 14. They then became known as the triplets! Sadly my uncle went to be with the Lord in August 2000, very suddenly and unexpectedly. Dad followed him pretty quickly on Christmas Day the same year, although that was not unexpected. But it was a wonderful love story - and it sounds as if you and your wife have the same wonderful story. God bless you both and happy anniversary when it comes. Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your stages of development took me back to my childhood ( a few years ago) My dad had some how acquired a book of drawings from Disney Studios When we flipped the pages really , really fast we saw the cartoon that developed from these drawings I think it was a favorite of all my siblings and of course self . None of us now know what ever happened to that book and all wish we still had it .So thank you for taking me down memory lane .....Lis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not everyone can have their portrait done by their spouse, so what a nice gift to give Jill! Well done on the drawing and a very happy upcoming 51st anniversary! I've never seen Jill with long hair so this was a real surprise! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an honor to be asked by Jill to do her portrait! Very well drawn and colored and she's a beautiful, beautiful lady - as I'm sure she still is! Happy anniversary - a wonderful milestone for you and Jill! Gorgeous work and it needs be be framed.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, wow, wow! Jill was wise to ask you to do this & you've honored her beautifully, Jim! Congratulations on an obviously blessed marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a loving gift for your bride, Jim! You have such a talent! And a beautiful wife!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness Jim!!! Wow!!! This is so beautiful and Jill must be absolutely overwhelmed with how beautifully you portrayed her! Congratulations on 51 years of marriage! Loved reading your thoughts on love, and they are oh so true! No wonder you have a 51 year long marriage! You two are a special couple!!!! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful portrait you have created Jim - and a great tribute to yours and Jill's relationship.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowza! Amazing work is all I can say! I love seeing the colors you used and actually being able to pick them out- esp in the hair. I also see visually how you go from dark to light with your coloring..I still cannot do it...... but am working on it. How I look forward to seeing what you are up to next! And, Congrats- 51+ yrs is a long, long, long time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think your portrait of Jill is beautiful, Jim, just like she is, but the wonderful thing about blogging is that you were able to articulate how much more in love with her you are now than you even were in the beginning and your work of art shows that with every stroke. How blessed you both are!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a beautiful post and a beautiful portrait Jim! Congrats to you and Jill!

    Deanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful and touching picture of your beautiful wife. You can clearly see that it was done with love, what a treasure for her to have. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, I am thinking this is your best post ever. I really liked it - and not just for the pictures, which, by the way, were awesome, and hard to believe you did this sketch from a 'horrible' photo. Cause it sure turned out beautifully, and what a lucky person you are to have been 51 yrs married to this gorgeous lady. That black hair must have been a bear to define in the colors (black ain't easy to do & get it right!). You have a great deal of patience, as well as talent, to take pictures of each process step, but it's so helpful & interesting to see it step-by-step. Great job, and good for Jill asking for you to please do this. She recognizes your skill obviously! I liked your beginning post as well. Lot of good (and probably hard-earned) wisdom in those thoughts. Early passion can - well not burn out - but doesn't burn with the flame that it did, as we age - then it's the other things that keep you loving best this young person that has become the senior citizen- even more than when you were youngsters. Perhaps because then we realize what LOVE really is. You have a gift for words that is equal to your drawing/sketching/coloring skills, and expressed some thoughts in such a wise & true way. Congratulations to you both. 51 yrs is a long time! (ask me how I know this!!!) Best wishes to you both for being granted many more years together. TFS & Hugs to both of you too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How amazing to have know each other for nearly all of your life!!! You really must know each other inside and out and sound like your are more in love than ever. Do you have photos of the two of you together when you first met? How gorgeous would that be!! You've blown me away again with your amazing sketching and colouring skills. I love seeing the transition from start to finish, as I'm not an artist and always curious about how it all comes together. She is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow !! this is amazing, the hair and the expressions are perfect. You have inspired me to get back to my old passion of pencil sketching :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jim What a beautiful drawing of your wife! It is obvious that you did this with such love and admiration. The results are beautiful! She must be so proud of you to do this for her so well. I think that your story is beautiful. My husband lived right down the street from me when we were 6 and 8. There was a main street that divided us so we went to different elementary schools and did not meet until later in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my god it is incredible to see how she comes step by step to life...and so different from the begenning...she reall surfaces with her speciphic traits..at CHA in atlanta I took a journal class and tried to make a girl, well I have the stamp for the face bi=ut the hair was sooo difficult...I am so admirative of your drawings and color skills...I wish I could do that!
    hugs from california
    bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! What a wonderful post and love your beautiful portrait of your wife!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow!!!!!!!!!! The photo is wonderful, and your story is too! Ages 4 and 6, dating as teens and married 51 years! So much time together!!! Steve and I are just married 24 and that seems a LONG time!!!

    Thanks for the step by steps on the drawing! I love seeing/reading how the process goes.

    TFS and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great painting and very expressive, thanks for sharing the lot of step by step progress photos.
    Blessed weekend,
    hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  29. A beautiful result, Jim! It's fascinating to see your step by step journey to this lovely end product. 51 years together, and still in love...how wonderful!
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  30. This turned out absolutely perfect! I enjoyed reading the inspirational word as well. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. 51 wonderful years together! Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! And what a beautiful gift of love this portrait is! Love seeing your stepped out process! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVE how you let us see this process from finish to end. WOW, this is amazing, glad you have let this talent out of the bag!
    Like I said before, faces have to be one of the hardest things to master when it comes to drawing, This turned out absolutely stunning.

    Happy Anniversary to you and Jill, 51 years!. Rick and I met in the 9th grade, boy, you sure have us beat!! Ours will be 48 years this October. We are blessed, long marriages aren't so popular these days........they don't know what they are missing by not working together to make it last.........

    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jim, this is great! Thank you so much for adding Bill and the family to your prayers. It means so much to me. God bless

    Hugs,
    Em x
    Creative Em

    ReplyDelete
  34. Another masterpiece! You are very talented! I went to art school and I know that drawing faces is the hardest thing to draw. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This post brought a little tear to my eye. Your love and your talent are showing through big time - how sweet! Hugz - lots of them to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So much to celebrate in this post, Jim, the most important being the span of time you and Jill have known, and loved, one another! Fifty-one years is a milestone, a blessing, a gift...a marvel! In a world where 'commitment' is often fleeting, your marriage stands apart as a sign of what it truly means. The depth of love...And your drawing...oh my, but watching this image - each detail added with thoughtfulness, purpose, artistry and yes, again love - come to life, is absolutely marvelous. You are an artist extraordinaire, and a most noble man, indeed! Blessings~c

    ReplyDelete
  37. II am so happy she gave permission for this wonderful work of art
    What a beautiful woman you married her eyes show a gentle love in her heart ....Lis

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.