Pages

Followers

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Obedience

Anyone who loves his life loses it; anyone who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me, must follow me, and my servant will be with me wherever I am. If anyone serves me, my Father will honor him.

The New Jerusalem Bible. (1985). (Jn 12:25–26). New York: Doubleday.

There are times in our walk when we find the going a slow, sluggish drudgery. It is interesting to note that we have holidays for events, people or things we wish to remember or honor. Most of the truly important ones are to honor those who had dedicated themselves to the welfare of others and paid with their lives. Others are for those that have spent their lives caring for us and guiding us in our life on earth. Our mothers and fathers, whether by birth or by some other means, are an important part of who we have become. It is only proper that they are honored. There are failings in life that we can only blame ourselves for. Honoring those we care for means becoming blind to those times in their lives where there were failures. The question that arises then is, "What about my failures?" It is much harder to confront our failures than someone else's. How do you deal with it. Periodically I pull back from everyone and everything and assess where I am and where I am going. I come before God and place everything before Him and ask "What am I here for? Am I going in the right direction and what do  you have for me to do?" I know many of the things in life that have been failures but also recognize that the failures are also an opportunity to learn. Those that have gone before are lessons and we will become the lesson in turn. As fame, wealth and personal greed becomes more important than caring about others, crime and the attention to self grows and God, Christ and the Holy Spirit are abandoned. It becomes especially important that the Christian live in a heroic manner as the disciples and the apostles did. If there were heroes it has to be them. After all, they gave their lives willingly for Christ and us. They were not looking for martyrdom but they were dedicated. They are our example to follow and to learn from.

Now it is time to say thank you to a few of those that make it such a pleasure to be a blogger. Those that are following my blog and those I am following even though they are not following me. If you visit please be sure to leave a bit of love behind in the form of a comment.


Angie at I would rather be Stamping is a Christian that really would rather be stamping. Once you visit her blog you will understand why the blog name. Her cards are very well done and always a delight to drool over.

Kecia at Stamping Deets is a first grade reading teacher and a Good card artist. She has a refreshing style all her own. I thoroughly enjoy stopping by and seeing what she has created. They are always clean but not always simple. I would say that is a different style wouldn't you? stop b y her blog and have a look for yourself.

Jan at Cards by Jan a Christian who lives on a farm in Canada. It is always a pleasure to stop by her blog and see what she created. She is talented at card making and enjoys sharing her creations. Be sure to stop by and see what she has done.

 The image for today is from Serendipity called 431LUM Violets Large.




 These are the Copics used to color the image.

Last week we had an experience that I think is a thank the Lord in more ways than one. I was talking to a dear blogger friend in my upstairs craft and office when I heard a cracking sound and immediately knew a tree limb was about to fall somewhere. That somewhere was directly over out rear dining area skylight. I gritted my teeth and listened as the cracking got louder and the ensuing bump and thud shook the house. Jill was already coming up the stairs asking if I was alright. I excused myself from my Skype conversation and looked out the upstairs back window to see a huge tree limb had fallen. The limb was a good 8 to 10 inches in diameter and possibly 20 feet long. It not only missed the skylight but also missed the roof. Here are some pictures of it.


The limb broke off is center of the picture.




Notice the tree trunk. It is at least 4 feet in diameter.


 Can't believe it missed both the roof and the skylight.         


The stub is between the two leaves at bottom right. The view is straight up through the skylight in the dining room.


A magnified view directly straight up from the dining room through the skylight. The limb had to move 15 feet toward the back of the yard to totally miss the roof and the skylight. I told Jill I would liked to have seen the angel that pushed that limb that far to miss the house so completely. By the way there was no wind when this happened so the wind was not what moved the limb that far. Thank you Lord for protecting us and the house. AMEN.

That is it for this post. Thank you for stopping by and allowing me to share God's wonders with you. Remember to always LOVE THE DETAILS and praise Jesus for everything.

26 comments:

  1. Wow! It's amazing the tree didn't come through the skylight! Just Wow! I love it when God steps in! Your image of the flower bouquet is beautiful! You wrote a beautiful piece on our mission! Thank you. Thank you to for stopping by my blog today. It's been very hectic with end of school year and a vacation. I found that all my extra time went into creating and I couldn't make it out to my friend's blogs so your little visit prompted me to come and read and see. What a sweet surprise to see my name in your post! Thank you so much!!! You have made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you again for the inspirational message. Its hard to acknowledge our own failures, but failures are also valuable lessons in life. Your colouring is beautiful and I love the highlights on the leaves. A special guardian angel was definitely hard at work around your house keeping the two of you safe.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the bough missed your skylight and roof, and that you were all kept safe. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is so good!!! Like you, I would love to have seen that angel. We have seen amazing provision recently - we saw a need and gave, then later that week received 10x that amount back.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know everything is fine. Have a nice week. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Jim - how fortunate that your roof remained intact and that neither of you were hurt.
    The violets are simply beautiful. They were my Grandmothers favourite flower and your image brought back some very happy memories. I am really mad busy travelling about at the moment, with little time to spare!
    have a wonderful week. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, stunning, as always my friend. The sound of the limb breaking will stay with me. Thank God he was in control.

    Love, hugs and blessings,
    Em xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are both Ok you had a very lucky escape . I loved your beautiful flower image and your great post love and hugs Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The violets are lovely the broken tree not so much It is frightening to live in "The Forest " as we do but the fear of a tree on the roof is off set by the beautiful wildlife that visit us daily .....................Lis

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always, wonderful words... I still shiver every-time I see that tree limb...we were truly protected!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your wonderful messages always give such a lot to think about, Jim and are so inspirational!!!! Thanks for taking the time to post it and share it with us!!!! Sometimes when we fail we also grow a lot, hey!!!!
    Your bouquet is beautiful and what an amazing story of the falling branch - surely God lives and has lots of angels who protects us!!!
    Have a wonderful week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those sweet violets are brought to life by your hand, Jim! Beautifully done! Jill told me about the scary business with the limb falling, so it's great that you shared the photos! Definitely a God thing!! Phew! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank goodness no one was hurt or that the house was damaged, definitely an angel watching out for you!!! We had very strong winds during the night last night and I lay awake at 5am this morning listing to our big Mulberry tree creaking and then hearing a big smash. The wind lasted for two hours and I really thought the roof was going to blow off. When I got up this morning I was amazed to find that all the trees were fine and it was just the BBQ being blown off the back deck. Whew! Maybe the same angel helped us too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those violets are awesome!!! God was with you on the limb!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praise God for sparing your house from that large tree branch! What a blessing! And what a wonderful post today about obedience. It's sad, I agree, that today our cultural has turned away from God and to individuals and their personal needs. May we continue to strive to glorify Him in all we do. I love the beautiful violets you've colored! Thank you. And I'll hop over to today's blogs. I think I've been to each of these precious and talented gals' blogs, but it's always fun to be redirected by you, my friend! Hugs to you and Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a miracle! You have wonderful angels watching over you both!!!!!! A very comforting feeling! Beautiful post! Love your reflection! And love your coloring of that pretty image too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad that tree limb missed the roof and skylight! That had to be frightening, but thank goodness no one was hurt. It looks like you screened in your back porch and it looks really nice too! I like how you colored those violets too - pretty card!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jim - first of all I love the violets, we have small ones growing in the garden and they pop up everywhere so we just leave them to their own devices!

    Now onto your tree branch - coo you really were lucky and I'm sure you had a guardian angel watching over you and your home just then. The picture from your dining room through the skylight is astonishing, it really is hard to believe. Just glad you are all OK. Catch you again soon. Take care.

    Hugs Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jim
    Sorry Im late stopping by but have had Chicken Pox and been catching up at work after.
    Your violets are so pretty and beautifully coloured.
    Glad on damage done by that errant branch. Definite divine intervention methinks.
    Take care.
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you are okay and that branch landed elsewhere! It's HUGE! Definitely God's reminder that we are not the ones in control, right?
    Your coloring of the violets is just amazing - the shading and detail on leaves alone is magnificent!
    Blessings ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, thanks for the post! I am happy to see the limb missed your roof and skylight! Sorry that I have been missing in action. We bought a new home and we have been very busy creating new flower beds etc...
    I love the image of the violets and the great coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG I am glad that you are OK! what a dangerous situation. love trees but when they become hazardous!!!
    hope you are having a wonderful summer
    hugs from california
    bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for your visit and lovely comment and thanks for sharing the fabulous photos.
    God bless you!
    Anja

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an amazing and thought provoking post Jim. No we don't like facing or acknowledging our failures, but we all have them. They are what keeps us "real" and humble. Failures aren't all that bad, because if we really want to, we can learn from them. So sometimes a failure is a way of learning, of listening to the Lord, it is a way to connect and hear what he is trying to tell us. God is good, God is always there. Just like with your limb. OMGosh, that wasn't luck that made that limb miss the sky light! Luck has absolutely nothing to do with it. It was God and Angels and they were looking out for you and Jill!! I'm so glad that He did! Your pictures are amazing, how can one not believe after seeing these pictures?! Yes my friend, God and his Angels where looking out for you and Jill. I love your beautiful Violets, you have colored them up so pretty, I thought at first they were a picture of already colored violets. lol Very nice! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing (and very scary) pictures, and you truly had Angels at work this day. Can totally understand why you all were saying "Thank You" later after you caught your breath. So happy for you that it didn't cause more damage, cause this looks like a fearsome _BIG_ tree & limb. Enjoyed your post - as always. We've all had failures - and in my case it's usually down to my own fault..and it's sometimes hard to take that responsibility too. As I get older (closer to the Final Exam perhaps), see many things that perhaps I should have done differently, behaved differently, whatever. I've tried to acknowledge these to our Father, but also accept that perhaps there was a reason that whatever happened at that time, was meant to be. Maybe just so that "I" would learn, but also that those I love best, would learn too. Life is a journey, and the hardest thing to forgive - for me anyway - is my own failings. I guess I expect more of myself, than others. I also know that He who knows my inner soul & heart, knows that most of the time, I really tried and came up short. The hardest thing to forgive, is when I have to honestly face that I didn't try as hard as I should. Also hard for me to do, is when I turn my worries about those I love best over to Him, then I tend to keep taking them back, and continuing with the worry. And I KNOW I don't have to BEG Him either, but sometimes find myself doing just that! (usually with keeping my loved ones safe, or if one is ill). He knows my weaknesses though & still loves me anyway. TFS & Blessings to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just popping in to say thanks for your kind words and visit....take care at all times. My dad is still plodding along after 9 residence died around him of old age, he being the eldest of the lot...he was out of bed today sitting in an air chair, a special bed type chair, sitting up as proud as punch...God love him...he is so loved and HE is dad's saviour.....xx

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.