Pages

Followers

Monday, May 9, 2016

Mercury Transit

Being an Amateur astronomer I could not resist today's transit of Mercury across the face of the sun. I was up at sunrise to see if it would be possible to see it. Good thing I did get up early because by mid morning the clouds were moving in and I would have missed it completely. Anywho, I used the projection method through a 3" refractor (all lenses, no mirror) to see it. I took a sheet of green card stock, cut a hole in the center and slipped it over the end with the eyepiece to act as a shield that would produce a shadow to make the projected image easier to see. I used a second bright white cards stock to act as the projection screen. I held it behind the telescope and focused the image onto it then took a bunch of pictures of the projected sun image. Here is the result.



It turned out pretty good considering there way a Breeze building. It made the scope vibrate and the card stock was hard to keep still. It later became impossible. 


The image is actually horizontally reversed. The Blue oval circles highlight Sunspots that were captured and the Round black circle highlights Mercury on the face of the sun. It will be several years before this happens again. This is the best of five pictures taken. Shortly afterwards the clouds were too thick to get any more images. 

By using a projection screen I was able to see the detail on the sun. NEVER view the sun without protection. It is advised that you never view the sun directly through a telescope or binoculars unless you have a proper sun filter attached to the front of your instrument. Never use an eyepiece filter as the heat generated will crack the filter and could result in blindness. Due to Mercury's small size the only way to see Mercury was through a telescope.

Hope you like what I managed to capture. Remember to always Love The Details. God Bless. 

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos, well done! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heavens declare the glory of God! So glad you shared your images. Great job on photographing your projection screen....complete with the sunspots! Fabulous job! What a treat to see.

    I'm not even amateur enough to term myself an amateur astronomer.....more like a night sky enthusiast, but I do love visiting SpaceWeather.com each day to see the latest sky happenings. Saw the Northern Lights a couple of nights ago....quite a good display for N.Cntrl Idaho. But then it turned overcast last night, so I didn't get to see them again.

    Thanks again for sharing your images!!!
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning images, my friend. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such very clever a historical photos they are just amazing what a lovely hobby love and hugs Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jim - I would not have seen it otherwise :-) What a great image you have captured.
    Blessings
    MAxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is no end to your interests and talents, Jim! This was fascinating! Thank you!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! This is so cool to see. It makes me feel so small in the grand scheme of things. Thank you for sharing! And yes, I'm a tad behind, but still thinking of ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my how cool is this, Jim!!!! What great photo's of this great 'event'!!! So glad you shared it!!!!
    Keep well and have a great day!!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good to have you back and feeling somewhat better
    I am a part of a womans study WHISH that encourages us with their counter to take at least 10,000 steps I easily do that but the thought enters my head at the end of day When did it happen that we should do this When I was in my 40 the trend was to save yourself extra steps .place laundry at bottom of steps and make only one trip etc ,In any case this is to help find womens health issues based on exercise Since I swim a mile daily it only counts as minutes not steps but is included . I do hope after all the effort it proves things for them I will never know because this study is for life ,
    Love your photos and your strength in the Lord I am sure all this has been hard for Jill Blessings for both of you ......Lis

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.