Pages

Followers

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

An Old Smoked Wine Skin




Kaph
 
 I shall wear myself out for your salvation, for your word is my hope. My eyes, too, are worn out waiting for your promise, when will you have pity on me? For I am like a smoked wine skin, but I do not forget four will.
 The New Jerusalem Bible. (1985). (Ps 119:81–83). New York: Doubleday.

 Note: Bottles made of animal skin were often hung in tents and other places where they were subject to the deteriorating action of the smoke from cook and camp fires. In some cases, skins of wine were deliberately hung in the smoke to give the wine a peculiar flavor. When skin bottles were long exposed to smoke, they became black, hard and shriveled - good for nothing. That is the sense of the figure of speech in our text verse.

Freeman, J. M., & Chadwick, H. J. (1998). Manners & customs of the Bible (p. 325). North Brunswick, NJ: Bridge-Logos Publishers.

Curious kind of statement to be made by the psalmist. It is most assuredly how many feel while waiting on the Lord. It is however an accurate assessment. We are not a patient people, especially when trials are upon us. The apostles understood this and exhibited restraint and patience in the face of hardships most of us can only imagine. They set aside their personal wants and desires to follow the Lord and do His will. What seems an eternity to us in this walk is inconsequential when the vastness of eternity is taken into account. There are even times when we feel like the wine skin and wonder what is next or when our prayer will be answered. I can attest to prayers not being answered for 50 or 60 years and even never. It can also be seen that prayer is answered on the spot. The apostles didn't just stand around and wait but did as the Lord willed. They took nothing for granted and obeyed all of the commandments to the letter as best they could. They understood the importance of not being static in serving the Lord. Each apostle served the Lord in whatever way they were called to do. They also understood that good works alone were not going to get them through the gates of heaven.That is not to say they are not noticed. Idle hands and minds are soon set to no good. The Lord did not come to replace the commandments but to shine a light on them and be a guide for us in them. Therein is the secret to His work and following Him.

I would like to include a little note here about the Shout Out section I present each week. I have not been able to access the maintenance page for my readers list for the past month or so. I know some of the blogs are not being used any more so if you visit and the posts are a year old or are inaccessible, please let me know and I will make note of it. If you are able to access them and like what you see be sure to leave some love for the artist. Comments are an encouragement worth its weight in gold.

Sheila is a diverse card creator in the subjects she covers. Her cards are from the simple to the fairly complex. I think you will find her style and interests enjoyable. Stop by her blog and give a look. I am sure she would be delighted to have you comment.

Jane is a very talented artist. Her coloring will cause you to pause and take a second and even a third look. If you scroll down and look at some of the work she does I think you will definitely follow her. This is one of those places I drool over when I visit. I leave a comment and clean up after myself. LOL. 

John is a very talented card maker. He is a bit sporadic with his posts but they are always worth the visit. His cards are extraordinary in that they are masculine without being overdone. If you are looking for ideas for masculine cards, he will most certainly provide that. 

I would like to share 3 images that were colored a few years ago. The first two are of butterflies and the third of a Victorian Lady. All three are from Digital Tuesday. Enjoy!!!

    


Sorry I didn't write down the colors used for this image. 

I hope you liked what you saw and read in the post today. There is no air conditioning in my office space only a fan. The air conditioners are for our bedroom and living room. It has been very oppressive in our area with temperatures in the low to upper 90's and humidity high enough to make it very uncomfortable. I will try to visit a few of you as I work my way through the list. I will eventually get to everyone. 

Remember that Jesus is in charge and to always Love The Details.

21 comments:

  1. Love your reading and adore your creations. Immaculate colouring of both images. .... and .... yes Jesus is in charge...my dad is living proof of that....after having 8 'last rights' by the priest he is now heading towards 103....xx
    {aNNie My Personal Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post and, and, as always, great coloring on the images!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jim,
    what beautiful images, and wonderful colouring of them.
    I do love butterflies so much.
    Crafty Regards. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gooood morning! Sorry I haven't been to visit for a while. Pesky health issues keep getting in the way when the work thing doesn't, so blogging has been somewhat intermittent recently.
    Love the images! The butterflies are so pretty, and just love the elegance of the lady in the final picture. Thanks for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The butterflies are colored beautifully, and I really like the vintage image of the woman! I hope you're having a good summer so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read that psalm many times but I did not realize the symbolism of the wine skin. Thanks for sharing that. Our pastor recently had a message series on "wating room". How do we handle it when we are in the waiting room of life. Your post reminds me of that. Good reminders to be patient and persistent!
    Ugh on your temps! That is what we are experiencing here with heat indexes of 100 - 105! It's ugh! We do have a/c through out though so that helps. Drink lots of water! :) Your images are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim, Thank you for highlighting my blog and card making skills in your post today! I am honored!! Your coloring skills are fabulous!! Do you give lessons :-)

    blessings,
    shelia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Jim for your kind visit! I can well imagine what it is like having such high humidity in the States and thank goodness you have a fan in the craft room otherwise I can well imagine how unbearable it is! Our heat is mainly dry but I still need the fans on! I do have a little comment about what your wrote that Jesus didn't come to replace the commandments - but He did come to fulfill them in Himself canceling the Law that we could never ever fulfill in flesh, changing our hearts of stone to hearts where He can live through us. That we have to stay diligent and vigilent - yes, 100%.
    Thanks for sharing your coloring skills!
    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim, once again I leave here being inspired by His word and another lesson that His time is not our time and we need to be patient. Just adore your vibrant colouring of the butterflies and the lady is just so elegant. Awesome shout out too, to our fellow bloggers, will be hopping over.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another lovely post, Jim!!!!! Thank you so much for posting white the heat is so terrible!!! Your colouring is fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jim, once again both your words and art leave me speechless. All are absolutely amazing, as are you.

    Love, hugs and blessings,
    Em x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So good to see you here again Jim - love your exposition on the wine skins....
    Your colouring is as ever stunning - love the Victorian lady in particular.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, lovely post! Love your wonderful coloring and especially on that gorgeous butterfly. Hope things begin to cool off soon up that way.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just saw your link over at Maxine's and was able to zip quickly over to check if you'd posted. What intriguing thoughts on this post. I will have to say I might disagree a tiny bit about prayers never being answered. I DO think they are always answered, but perhaps not in the way we had wished or that we recognized. I know that in my case, the answer was always for my better good, even if I didn't have the sense to realize it at the time. I KNOW they are heard...but Allseeing knows what is best & I know I've always been placed just where I needed to be at a specific time. Again, as I say, at the time I didn't know it. Looking back in time, Yep, things were done for my best interests. A very thought provoking post, and no we are not patient. Our little concept of time is nothing to eternity, is it? On to the beautiful images. Fantastic coloring of some gorgeous images. Absolutely love that grand lady. Be a good thing if some of that style of dress got back in our society today!!!(My personal opinion of course). I commend you for keeping track of your colors. I seldom do, and I certainly couldn't go back a few weeks even, and say what colors I'd selected...forget about going back a year! Best to you & DW. Stay cool. Blessings and have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always interesting and thought provoking .I love the images great colouring and I enjoyed visiting your followers blogs Love and hugs Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jim, thank you for sharing your precious thoughts and words with us. Yes, as we "travel" through life's trials, we don't always "feel" like our prayers are answered. But we know that God answers all our prayers in His time and way. And sometimes they are "yes," "no," and "not yet." What a blessing to know that He and only He is in control and knows what is best for us all. May He grant us patience for the "not yet" and even "no." When I think of the many prayers of my grandparents, I think they would be pleased to see how God has answered some of their prayers today. Thank you also for sharing your beautiful artistry! We do love to color, don't we? It's so relaxing! May God continue to bless you and Jill, and thanks for sharing another beautiful post! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just wanted to drop by and say thank you for including my blog in your shout out section. I hope your followers enjoyed my post and visit again soon as I have lots of new artwork lined up for August.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good morning Jim,interesting thoughts as always :)
    Beautiful colouring(as always too!)love the depth you have achieved in the ladies hair.Have a lovely weekend,hope the temperature drops a little,or at least you get a breeze to reduce that humidity a little.We of course rarely experience extreme temperatures here in the UK,but I spent most of my childhood growing up in Freeport,Grand Bahama so I remember that heat all too well,and the whirring oif the air-con as I tossed and turned and tried to sleep!
    Hugs,Nessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful job coloring these digital images, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jim, this is such a great post! Everything is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.