Pages

Followers

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

9-4-2014 Thank You

Before I start I would like to thank everyone that stopped by and commented on the last two posts. You have made an exceptional year into an extraordinary year so far. Our anniversary was the best we have ever experienced. Much of the credit for that belongs to all of you. Thank you one and all and may the good Lord bless all of you and this includes even those that stopped by but didn't comment. I am well aware of the number of hits I get and they are growing. I cherish all visitors, whether you comment, join or just look and , hopefully, read the posts. If the post inspires then it has done what it is supposed to and I am blessed in return. Thank you again and GOD bless.

 So then, as long as we have the opportunity let all our actions be for the good of everybody, and especially of those who belong to the household of the faith.

The New Jerusalem Bible. (1985). (Ga 6:10). New York: Doubleday. 


I added a new brush to the brushes I use for the painting. It is an American Paints 5/0 #4650 Spotter brush. The bristles are about 1/8" (3.1750mm) long and 1/32" (0.7938mm) wide. (I hope I got that correct for the metric user's out there.) This allows for more control and greater coverage where needed. Now there is no need to switch brushes as much.



As you can see, it is very hard to see the bristles and that is why the explanation.

With that out of the way we can get to the update of the painting.

First let us see some of the equipment and paints used to finish to this point. 


8 paints were used either by themselves or in combinations to get the painting finished to it's current level.The syringe is for adding the precise number of drops of water when the paint becomes too dry. The little cup of water for cleaning and for the syringe and the paint tray so the little paint cups don't dry out. Now to the painting.


 As you can see there is progress but there should be even more. Before explaining why, Jill brought up an interesting point. I never explained how the starting point on this painting was chosen. Since I am right handed and want to do a complete color set once I started, it is crucial to understand that anything on the right hand side of the canvas needs to be done last. The upper left hand side is where you must start if right handed and the upper left hand side is where you start if you are left handed. This is done to prevent you putting your hand or arm into new wet paint as you progress.

That said, the reason the painting should be further along is because the light colors in the sky needed to be done again to cover the numbers. It actually took three coats on some of them to cover the enough to hid them. Still want to do a paint by number? If you do not mind backing up once in awhile to catch what you missed, and you WILL miss some, trying to get coverage especially with acrylic paints and the fine detail of a painting like this one, you will do fine. Patience is the key. It is also required that the paint brush be cleaned OFTEN to remove drying paint and to keep the brush itself fresh. Keeping a fine point on this canvas is critical.

That is it for today. It is a short post but it was promised. Just remember to always LOVE THE DETAILS.

22 comments:

  1. It is coming along beautifully, although I know slowly. When you have to paint three times for good coverage, that is a slow process.
    No, I couldn't do a paint by number...certainly not this large. I used acrylic paints to paint an embossing folder over the weekend and that was slow enough for me. Ha I'll probably upload it tomorrow. Keep up the good work and get ready for a frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks like fun, Jim, your doing an awesome job on it! Some day I may give oil painting a try...again...last time I was about 8 years old painting along side my Mom. Mine looked like a little kid did it, LOL, compared to hers and I never tried it again! Keep up your wonderful posts! Blessings! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are moving right alone there It is starting to look pretty good ...............Keep on keeping on.....Lis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't think I'll be getting any of the paint by number sets anytime soon! I don't even have a smidgen of your patience! This is coming along so nice.
    Glad y'all had a wonderful anniversary.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your painting is going to be amazing when finished Jim. I am a lefty and I already know how much my hand gets into what I'm doing because of it. lol I tend to write "upside down". Or at least that is what people have told me, or more like "Why do you write upside down?" Never realizing I was doing this until I happened to be writing in from of a mirror and realized it did look like I was writing upside down! My hand smears ink, pencil, etc...as I write. I hate it. So I totally understand why you would need to paint starting in a certain corner depending on whether you are a right or left handed person. Anyway I think your painting is going to be amazing like I said and I also know that this needs to be done slowly and carefully. Especially with getting those darn numbers to cover up. Good luck and I can't wait to see more. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are breathing life into this painting Jim, and the details are starting to mesh into what will be a most beautiful work of art when you're done. I so enjoy seeing the progress and reading about the process. Your patience, perseverance and creativity are so admirable; how wonderful you are to keep to your 'commitment'!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, Jim, I have always had the greatest respect for people who can paint and I love beautiful paintings (and watercolours are my fave). I can not paint (or draw) anything - don't have any talent for that!!!! So this post of yours made me realise even more what great work goes into a painting!!! I so enjoy following your progress and I realise now, also what great patience goes into this!! (I would have wanted to finish it in one afternoon!!!) And boy, what a fine brush that is, hey!! Have fun and thanks for having us share in the process of doing your painting - I really enjoy that!!!
    Have a super day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it's really coming along! The sky already looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see it finished! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your painting is coming along just nice Jim. It's starting to look beautiful. If one is patient enough one can create some amazing things. Looking foreward to see it when it's finished.........
    Have a happy painty day ;-)
    Greetings from Veerle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coning along beautifully Jim, you have such patience! I have no desire for this brand of torture thank you. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is coming along nicely and I'm not ashamed to say that your further along then I thought you'd be :-) There's so much to it and coming from someone who use to paint (except faces) I know :-) This will be a keepsake for sure :-) I can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is coming along beautifully!! Can't wait to see it finished! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this is coming to life already Jim! cant wait to see it all finished huggles Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm looking forward to see the scenery comes step by step.
    I wish you a blessed weekend,
    Hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great progress! Wonderful! cheers from California
    Bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are doing well, and I very much admire your patience for all those tiny spaces you need to paint in! Have fun, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never knew that painting by numbers was so complicated!! I've heard people say that painting this way is cheating and so easy. I'm not a painter, so anything to do with this art is hard to me. If these people only knew how painstaking the process really is. I would never have thought about where you start either but it totally makes sense. How horrible to smudge your paint after working so hard. The painting areas are so tiny, so can only imagine how detailed it will be when its finished. Can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your painting is progressing well, the finished result is going to be amazing.... I admire your patience, looking at that tiny brush and reading about painting sections 3 times to get coverage, I would have given up before now and put it away to finish later....(much later!). So pleased you had a wonderful anniversary, many congratulations!
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a big project! But it's looking good so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just cant wait to see the end result.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, this is looking beautiful. I saw the 1st two pictures, the tiny toothpick & the syringe, and thought "Oh no, I'd never have the courage or the patience". You are really into the Details for sure on this one. Your sky is wonderful and your eyes must be so fatigued after a short session...not to mention the hand fatigue of concentrating on those teeny, tiny spaces. I can well believe spots would be missed & have to have many check backs. Of course you realized when you started, this wouldn't be a rapidly completed project, but one to return to, day by day. It's going to be a masterpiece, as it already is. I commend your patience, your eye sight and your discipline to keep working on this one! TFS & Blessings. (ps...also glad you're getting lots of hits. No surprise at that!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is really coming along beautifully, Jim! We've had a lot of (AWESOME) grandparenting duties in the last couple of weeks so I haven't had a chance to stop by until now. It's kind of cool to have jumped from when you hadn't done too much to now! I never considered that you'd have to paint some section two, three times, aack! No, I do NOT want to do a paint-by-number any longer!! But I love watching you do it! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.