Pages

Followers

Monday, October 13, 2014

October 13, 2044 What Is In A Name


Inspiration can come from almost anywhere and often comes from surprising places. Since There was ZERO inspiration for this post, I decided to find out what the name James means. Surprising enough, James is a derivative of Jacob and Jacob means Supplant. In short, James does not mean anything on its own. That's a bummer. Being a derivative of Jacob, it means the same as Jacob. Jacob in Hebrew means "to take by the heal or supplant." This means: 

1) to supercede (another) especially by force or treachery.

That doesn't sound so nice does it? It certainly is not me.

2) To take the place of and serve as a substitute for, especially by reason of superior excellence or power.

Now that is more like it. LOL. That still is not me. There is another word that means basically the same thing but sounds much nicer. Successor.This means:


: a person who has a job, position, or title after someone else : someone who succeeds another person

Why all of the hoopla over a name? I couldn't think of anything else to write about. Since I was bored I just thought everyone else should be bored too. LOL. Actually there is a purpose behind this. Here are two biblical excerpts to explain my thoughts.

James 2:55  Listen, my dear brothers: it was those who were poor according to the world that God chose, to be rich in faith and to be the heirs to the kingdom which he promised to those who love him.


The New Jerusalem Bible. (1985). (Jas 2:5). New York: Doubleday.

How about that! I have my own book. Who says James has no meaning. LOL. Actually it is one of the books that I like the most. No, not because it has my name, but there are a lot of practical bits of wisdom therein.


Mt 7:7  ‘Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you. Everyone who asks receives; everyone who searches finds; everyone who knocks will have the door opened.'

The New Jerusalem Bible. (1985). (Mt 7:7–8). New York: Doubleday.


Now that I have your attention there is a new winners badge from Bibiana's Throwback Thursday challenge blog on my side bar. I was the second winner of her badge and a stencil. Thank you Bibiana. It is a great honor. Bibiana runs this challenge every other Thursday. It runs for two weeks at a time. I think it is great fun and if you would like to try, visit her blog. The challenge rules are halfway down the page.


I was originally going to put some eclipse pictures on here but the pictures are terrible. We had clouds interfering and I couldn't get totality due to trees. Sorry. A typical day for me right now. LOL

I have been working on the painting that I started some weeks ago. Since things had been so crazy around here I've been doing this painting at night. That of course means spending less time than I would like on it, however, I have gotten quite a bit done. Before we get to that, here are the colors used, both on their own and blended to get the extra colors needed. 




This meant spending many hours, evening mostly, to get something done. There are 11 colors here but at least 17 colors were used. Like I said before, This is not your grandfather's paint by numbers. This painting would not be attempted without a magnifier to see the small detail. Now for the painting.



There is a huge amount of small stuff in the landscape. There are decent sized areas to be done in the sky and sea but all else is magnifier work. The light house is close to done. There are still areas that need to be blended in the sky and one or two other areas. (SHH. I need to correct a few small boo boos too. Nothing major though. Nope! Not telling where they are. Just trying to be honest about it.)

The nice thing about the natural world is you do not need to worry about some things being messed up or not being exactly right. Nature, landscapes in particular, is fun to do for that reason. 

I will apologize now for the next few months. I will be very spotty in visiting your blogs to see your work and comment. There will be little time to spare between now and the end of December because of commitments in my life. Living has its ways of creating that kind of detour. I will respond and visit all who take the time to visit and comment. I will also accept any prayer requests and include them in my book of prayer requests. That is an absolute nightly thing for me. It is never skipped or set aside. Prayer requests are never shared unless requested to do so. For that kind of request there is a network of prayer warriors that can be called on. You can contact me for any requests here:

penholder562 at gmail.com

Thanks for stopping by and remember to LOVE THE DETAILS.



30 comments:

  1. Love the way you painting is developing Jim - it is fabulous. I can understand the need for magnification - they eyes are not all that they once were as we age :-(.
    I too may not be around much shortly as we have family coming to love with us for a period. I suspect it may be a character building time :-).
    Blessings and prayers
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your painting is still going! Take care of yourself even if you are busy. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still want to live there! Looking really good so far Jim!
    And congrats on the challenge win. Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just loved your blog today firstly the name James as it was my fathers name it was so interesting to read. The painting is looking just fab but it must be very slow work the detail is just amazing. Life sounds as if its going to get hectic for you but try and find some time to relax amongst it all. Love and happy crafting or is it painting hugs Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL work of art...love the painting and you are one fabulous artist...thanks for dropping in to say Hello.
    I am already a follower of your blog which I just discovered.xx
    The Journey is the Start



    ReplyDelete
  6. 'James' is one of my favourite names... my son is called James, and I never shorten it or use a nickname ..(there have been times, particularly when he was a teenager, that I called him a few other things, but we won't go into that!!!), so interesting reading for me!
    Your painting is progressing beautifully, I wonder how many hours you have spent on it so far!
    Hope you get some time to relax over the next few weeks...sounds as if you're going to need it!
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow incredible painting :) Love the details !! You are simply an amazing artist

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the win!!!
    Your painting is coming along beautifully! Love all the details in it and the colors are just perfect for this gorgeous scene.
    Hope this curve life has thrown in your direction straightens out as quickly as possible. You and Jill will be in my prayers.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although I was late (very!) commenting on your previous post, the timing sits perfectly in being back-to-back with this one. Your 'research' was so interesting, especially since my brother shares your name and Mt 7:7...oh, how I find inspiration in that 'wisdom'. Thank you so much for sharing! On to your painting: WOW! Just plain, old and loud WOW! Gorgeous, Jim, and your attention to detail is incredibly impressive. Congrats on your well-deserved win at Bibiana's blog. I hope that the commitments you're embarking on are those that will bring you joy and happiness. I'll be thinking of you and, of course, missing you. May many blessings come your way and may you find time to rest and relax in the the busy-ness!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your win.
    Loved your fab entry into this fab challenge.
    I am still waiting my badge, I keep emailing with no response, don't know what's gone wrong.
    Love your painting it's lovely.
    Don't ever worry about visiting me I fully understand other things having to come first.
    Crafty Regeards. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The painting is evolving nicely
    I can't believe you have one "BORED" minute , you live with such wonderful interesting people with so much to offer .
    we all get busy in the coming months and will be around the internet less but don't be a stranger pop in now and again....Lis

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had no inspiration to do this post and see what a lovely post you have done in the end, Jim!!! I enjoyed the bit on the names!!! And a big congrats on your new badge!!!
    Your painting is really coming to life now, hey!!! Incredible detail on it - so beautiful and I admire you for being able to do it so perfectly (can definitely not see any booboo's!!!!)
    Whatever will be keeping you busy for the next months - hope you will be well and enjoy!!!
    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The painting looks great and as always the post is perfect. God bless ~ Em

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vous avez mis beaucoup de temps et de coeur sur cette toile! Bravo pour votre création et je vous souhaite santé et succès dans vos projets d'ici la fin de décembre! Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, incredible painting.I love it!
    Urška

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Jim, it's always a delight to read whatever you say and wherever it goes! Yes, it's interesting about your name, but it's the one God gave me, and I like it! And, yes, you even have one with your name!! Your painting is exquisite and definitely isn't like the ones my parents used to work on! I see all the amazingly fine details, and I know it will continue to become more complete and beautiful - sort of like how God is working on us each day and through all the trials He allows in our lives. We quilters used to say, if you look hard enough to find a mistake or error, you deserve to find it! Haha! But nature is varied and beautiful, and each flower is unique, as we are! Thanks again, Jim, for being such a prayer warrior!! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jim I always enjoy your posts no matter what you choose to write about!!! Love how far the painting has come! Life sounds like it is going to continue being crazy busy! Know that I think and pray for you and Jill each day....sending heartfelt hugs! My Mom is on the mend with a few complications but hopefully all will be better shortly!
    :) Jill2

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is coming along nicely Jim!! Wonderful post enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jim, it's so good to see the progress on your painting. I'm amazed! I remember paint by number when I was a kid. This is nothing like those. The detail is amazing! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is my first visit to your blog, but I had to stop by to thank you for the nice comment you left on mine! Loved reading this post…I must agree…James is one of my favorite books also! Your painting looks wonderful…every little detail. Can't wait to see the finished scene! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Evening Jim, hope things are going well. Had a Blessed day on Tuesday and hope the blessings flowed all the way to Jill and yourself.
    Your painting is coming along beautifully, look forward to seeing it completed, such alot of detail in it.
    Loved reading your meanderings on James ...who could possibly be bored reading your posts...lol its amazing where our wandering minds can lead us. We almost always learn something though in our travels.
    Give Jill my dearest love xx
    Hugs Mau xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. This painting has been quite an undertaking with many hours put into it. It's coming along beautifully and will be so great to display once it's finished! Congrats on your win too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your painting is coming along beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always love to read what you are thinking Jim. Amazing that when you are bored you study words - I take a nap - LOL. Your painting is really coming out wonderful - I had no idea this was that involved - wow. I can see that one would learn a lot from the work as well - about shading and blending and shadows. You know all of that already, but I can see it would help someone like me who knows nothing about those things. I am kind of doing the same thing you are doing with limited blog and crafting time lately - work and family have to come first and both have needed me more lately. Many hugz - loved your post as always.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just dropping in to see what you are up to- I just love your painting! My Mom is an artist, and always adds purple somewhere in everything she does. That grabbed my eye right away- I look forward to seeing this as you progress! Great words on the name James : )

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've finally returned to my blog. The grands kept me very busy.....and worn out. Ha
    I have been wondering how your painting was coming along and now I see you have made wonderful strides. I know it is so time consuming, but so worth it. It is beautiful! It will be great to see the finished product.
    I know what you mean about not much blog time. I'm trying to catch up with my commenting and that is no small feat. It seems to be getting harder and harder to keep up with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your painting is coming along beautifully. I too have fallen behind on my visits, sometimes it is hard to stay current, I think (hope in my case) we all understand. Maybe you could look into a pair of readers like I recently found called Light Specs by Foster Grant. I was blessed to find them for 2$ at my dollar store, they are magnifiers but they have 2 little LED headlights mounted on the sides, make all the small work so much easier! Take care, ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  28. Painting is coming along....labor of love.....something to look forward to going back to!
    Sounds like you are busy, busy, busy, hope all is well. Thinking of you.

    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  29. Magnificent progress. This is coming along so splendidly, and you can't hurry something this detailed & infinite. As you said in the initial post, it's a labor of love, not to be rushed. We all enjoy seeing the updates, and for the so-tiny areas involved, and having to assist with magnification, looks to me as though you are making very good progress. Enjoyed the post about the name derivatives too. Did not know that James was derived from Jacob. Most interesting. Congrats on your win at Bibiana's. Hope things are going as should be on the home front, and of course Life must always take priority over crafts & blogs. As it should. Visit when you can, and I will do the same. Best to both of you, and hope all things be well in Our Father. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yesterday, your Thanksgiving Day! I had wish you a beautyfull day!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.