Pages

Followers

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Nothing Is Something

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.Mitch Hedberg
Have you ever had your DNA tested? My daughter gave me a DNA test kit for Father’s Day. I often wondered when my ancestors came to this country and who the native American ancestor was. I went through the procedure of collecting my sample and sent it off. It was 3.5 weeks for it to be processed. Finally the day came and I was excited and nervous us at the same time. What greeted me was a total shock. It showed NO Irish or Scottish ancestry and NO Native American ancestry. Dumbfounded and in disbelief it took several days to get my bearings back. 

At this point what settled in was a determination to prove the report wrong. Why would my family say things that were not true. My younger sister had been researching and building a family tree. She didn’t have the answer so I began researching as well. Turns out my great grandmother was born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1855. Both of her parents are natives of  Ireland. It is still unknown where the Native American is from but we are still researching it. Some branches are back into the 1500’s and could take some time.

The point is that throughout this time I had been resting in the Lord for answers. The feeling of having been stripped of my identity was held in check with prayer and a feeling of well being. He has promised He would be our protector and advocate no matter what. He has our backs at all times. What is assuring to me is that I am who I am and that is what is important. If we are stripped of our earthly identity it does not change the physical or spiritual "I am" that makes us who we are. Yes, it matters to me who my fore fathers were but it is more important to understand that we are in His hands and it matters to Him that we are His children and perfectly who we are right now.


I will add to this search as more is found. There are no crafts this time around. Thank you for your patience. Remember to always Love The Details.






7 comments:

  1. Sorry the test was so disappointing. But you are still you! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so interesting and also intriguing I hope you get the puzzle solved Thanks for sharing Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my , our son has been doing his on search for years This year his family gave him the GIFT for Fathers Day
    He will be so up in arms if his results are not what he has discovered over the years
    Looking fwd to your findings ……..Lis

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right, that ultimately our identity is in God and the fact we have been reconciled to Him through Jesus, and His Spirit dwells in us. Rest easy, and enjoy the journey, including the unexpected bumps along the way :-)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very definitely you, and I'm honored to be on this journey called life, relatively, by your side.
    Love, hugs and blessings,
    Em xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you didn't simply accept the report as truth and did your own research, Jim. You can't argue with birth and death certificates. I think you should have included the name of the organization that did the so-called DNA testing to warn others that, like with anything, there are bad actors in the field. I'm sorry you had this emotional experience, but glad it turned out that your ancestors had told you the truth. Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  7. IC, you are the first person I actually know who's done the DNA. I think it must be a bit unsettling to think that all the family lore was wrong (not saying yours is, but I know some of the stuff I've heard in our family is probably bunkum! However we do know our Indian ancestor! My Granma and Daddy looked just like her picture). THe main thing, keep in mind: God knows who you are, and YOU know who you are, and to whom you belong. The ancestry is just 'interesting to know', but I don't think God will care. You are in HIS family, and that is what counts above all! You & DW have a good weekend. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.