Pages

Followers

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Hope

 

I was going to base the weeks post on a different subject. I attended a funeral service for our neighbor this week and feel it is important to address what was felt during that experience. I had shared several weeks ago that I became very close to him in a very short period of time. There are some very important underlying things that I now see that were hinted at but not addresses in his life. He was intensely seeking to know and understand God, Christ and what that meant for him. The problem with that was that he never became still enough to allow the Holy Spirit and Christ to be realized as working in his life. There were many questions and many answers given that were not given the time needed to be seen or felt in his life. Hope is not often answered instantaneously in a way that will be recognized when we are struggling to see answers. (Psalm 46:10  Be still, & know) Being still is what is needed. If we are too wrapped up in the search we run the risk of missing what is right in front of us. My favorite place in all of the scriptures on how to listen to the Lord is in 1 Kings 19:9-13. Elijah had learned that rushing here and there was not the way to know if God was with him or speaking to him. He took for granted that God was there with the care God's angels were providing him when he was fleeing from Jezebel (1 Kings 19:1-8). It was in almost imperceptible quiet that God was present and speaking to him. Not being quiet in the midst of the turmoil of life will cause us to feel that all hope is lost when in fact it is not lost. Elijah felt lost and hopeless until he stopped and became still. Hope is often missed because we want answers now. I am not saying they will not happen immediately but we must be still more often than not to get the answers we seek. That in itself may be for some time or a very short time. My friend was also seeking solace with things to fill voids in his life. That was another distraction rather than being quiet. I went over to his cremation urn and stood quietly before it. I could feel his sorrow and grief. I also know that he now knows the Jesus he so desperately sought was there all the time. I have a cross that I never had the chance to give him. On it is Be still, & know --- Psalm 46:10. My heart is heavy but I also know he is now safe, trouble free and loved.

I have decided to wait and post images next week. Thank you for your visit. Please leave a comment if you can. May the good Lord bless and keep you safe. Until next week remember to "Always Love The Details."

6 comments:

  1. Grief always makes us stop and consider things - and yes, hope can come in the midst of chaos if we but "be still"... an attribute I am trying to cultivate more deeply. Thank you for sharing this Jim
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was kind of you to stand by your neighbour in the last times before he died. Now he is hopefully hearing 'the small, still voice of peace'. Have a good week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew your neighbor, but I stand with you, Jill and all who love him in your grief.

    Love and gentle hugs xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for the loss of your friend Jim.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post Jim. It can be hard to "be still and know", but if we do, we will find we are not alone. It's hard for us who are followers of the Lord, so I know how hard it must be for someone newly seeking the Lord. My heart hurts for anyone struggling with "belonging" and depression. I can't imagine how much despair they have to feel to get to that point where they take their own life. But like you, I know your young friend is now safe, trouble free, love and wrapped in the arm of our Lord and Savoir. This troubled young man was and is the Lord's child and the child is with his Master. Thank you for sharing this post with us Jim, it touched my heart and reminded me to "be still and know". Hugs & blessings, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the sadness you're experiencing with the loss of your neighbor and friend. I think you two were placed together to serve a need and purpose he was searching for. We all wish we had more time to say or do one more thing before someone passes, but just being there was doing him more good than you probably imagined. May he rest in peace as he finally left the darkness and entered into the light. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.