Pages

Followers

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

April 23, 2014 Blessings

Blessings are not something we earn. They are freely given just because we are loved.

In place of a quote I want to share how the needle work image in the last post came to be. In the mid 70's I had found this image in Better Homes and Gardens of a needle work kit that I fell in love with. It was titled "The Prophet." I had tried for some time to find this kit but to no avail. I finally gave up because I was told it was not being offered any more. I was really bummed out. I REALLY wanted this kit.

My DW, Jill, and her close friend at the time went to Allentown, Pa to a shop her friend knew about that had all sorts of craft stuff. It was a birthday present to Jill. Jill said when she saw the shop it was wall to wall to ceiling with everything crafty you could imagine. They were greeted at the door by a lady that said, "Welcome! Looking for something special? You name it! We have it!" Jill immediately thought of the kit I wanted and thought "we'll see about that and described it to the lady. She went somewhere in the back and came out with a kit but it wasn't the one she knew I wanted. The Lady then went to an area where clearance items were piled high and dug out another item and handed it to Jill. Jill said it stunned her. In her hands was "The Prophet." The last one, discontinued and on sale for a fraction of the original cost. She purchase it brought it home and gave it to me. To say I was excited would be an understatement. Remember, she did this on HER birthday with some of HER birthday money. I went right to work on it. The gold thread gave me fits and had to purchase more to finish it. We had it framed and it has hung on a wall somewhere in the house since that time. It is a prized gift From God and my dear wife that will always be displayed as long as I am around. Blessings come in small and large portions. What may seem insignificant is not. In fact, ALL blessings are significant. Be thankful for them. They are free. You can't earn them.

A few of you have asked if I still do that sort of thing and I can say yes but not that large a project. I do however pick up the needle and thread once in awhile. Today I have my last cross card for awhile to post. The cross is completely hand done. There is no coloring anywhere on the card.
This was a challenge but fun card to do.  The pattern is from
Craft Creation Magazine, Winter 2008/2009, Issue 52. I pre-punched the holes for the thread and fussy cut the oval to the size I wanted. The cross is done with DMC metallic gold braid and Dritz blue cotton thread. The card edge is done with Martha Stewart String Lace edge and corner punch set. The cross background is Old world Mat Stock Paper and the edge punched with Martha Stewart Eyelet Lace edge and corner punch set. The flowers in the cross are fussy cut from old return address labels and arranged in the cross arms. Sorry ladies no coloring on something this small. Smile. I used a pink brad for the center of the cross. The edge of the card stock is laced with Wright's Creative Classics Metallic Scroll Braid. Everything is held to the card with Scor-Tape of 1/4" and 1/8". I hope you like what I did and leave me a comment. 

The only thing I would do differently with this type of card would be to use the next heavier weight in card stock. It would bend less but would probably be tough to punch. Th stitching would be a bit straighter too. OH well, next time!
That's it for now. Remember to always pay attention to and LOVE THE DETAILS>













32 comments:

  1. As always, a lovely thoughtful post & yes, you are right about the Blessings. You were certainly meant to have that cross stitch set, and what a lovely embellishment you will always have for your home together. Each time either of you see it, you'll be reminded. Those kinds of things are what make 'home' to me. Today's card is beautiful. I've done machine embroidery with metallic thread and it is beastly to sew. Breaks every couple of breaths. Very wearing on your 'religion' so to speak. Perhaps handstitching is not so frustrating. But this looks tedious in the working of it, especially needling through cardstock. You can be justly proud of this one, & I hope you'll frame it too. The fussy cutting of the ever so tiny flowers must have been quite time consuming as well. For your readers, it's well worth it! Hope you & DW enjoyed your visit with DD. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS...I forgot to say how much I liked all the edge punching details, with the gold braid threaded through all those small spaces too! I was too taken with the cross itself, but I did notice the outer details too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.. How awesome is GOD!! This came out beautiful. Beautiful stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today´s card is wonderful! Love the stitching must have taken hours... just realized that I wasn´t a follower of your amazing blog. So now I am :)

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, this is beautiful. I love that you used your punch and laced it with the gold braid. Fabulous job on the cross with the gold metallic. What a treasure to have.

    I have to say that story was wonderful. It was meant for you to have "The Prophet". And, it was so sweet of Jill to use her birthday money to make that purchase. I'm sure, though, it meant a great deal to her to give it to you. I'm sure that was a birthday gift to her just to surprise you with it.

    Have a fabulous week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stitching looks great to me - and what a beauty it is! That was a great "find" for Jill and know you were excited about receiving it from her.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous project!! You are very talented!! Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks absolutely fabulous!!! I'd frame it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful stitching for a great card!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I loved hearing that story! I have told Jill that I love it when she tells the story behind something. So encouraging and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story, and a great creation too. I really like that gold trim!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my, is right? What a beautiful story, and what a stunning card! All with no stamping too! I so appreciate your delicate and time-consuming stitching, and I especially agree that blessing are not something we earn! Thank you for sharing this beautiful artwork and for your precious story! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely project - the stitching is wonderful and the punched edge is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This stitching is original and gorgeous idea! It's a wonderful card!
    Ileana

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally agree about Blessings and ones like in your story make life so rich. I thought your project was gorgeous, but your story makes it even more wonderful! Such a thing you can see God weaving so it would happen - because of the coincidences - just too many to say it was luck. Gives me chill bumps. Love displayed in many angles! Your card is really great too - such engineering - looks very difficult but the results are really something! I love reading stories about you and Jill. Hugz to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...what a stunning creation. Love the detail and I can see that this was a labor of love with all the delicate weaving and awesome stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hello Irish: first I did not understand DW, I search and I found "do not worry"..so I said he must not mean that...oh well it took me a while to understand, (you know English is not my 1st language, although I am like a californian by now, I still need time to get these things ) but now I see that Jill is your wife!!! OMG how funny...I am just starting to know you both better..and I am always grateful for your (both) kind visits to my blog, not knowing your relationship...
    it is so much nice to pair you now. as for your card I love that stitching is pure "spirelli/string " art!!!
    and it is so funny too because I did not long ago one card with spirelli, my first, and i was going to put it n my blog in these coming days...OH we must be tuned. great story too...
    hugs and bye for now
    bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! you're pretty handy with needle and thread! Most guys don't know what DMC is....and this turned out Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The details on this cross are amazing, Jim! I always hated embroidering with metallic thread but love the finished product. And those tiny flowers that you've fussy cut are amazing! My goodness, they're tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness that's a lot of detailed work on this beauty. I just dread embroidery/ sewing ;) I am totally amazed by this creation :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness Jim.... this is so incredible!!! I do LOVE the details!!! The gold stitching is purely a work of art!!! I agree... metalic thread can be a real pain to work with.... so much so that I haven't done much with it in years but wow... you have inspired me!!!! Loved your thoughts on blessings as well.... so underserved and so wonderful!

    Blessings to You!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love stories like that, Jim, and I think all of us have experienced something so unexpected and so joyous in our lives. I have and I sure hope everyone has. "You just never know." It shows once again, that we can never give up! And, truth be told, I venture to say that Jill got just as much pleasure (or more!) out of handing it to you that day, as you did receiving it!

    Your hand-stitched card is truly magnificent!! Have a great weekend! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful words I think you were meant to have the kit your card is just stunning and the punching is fab! Great card!
    Have a lovely weekend
    Vic x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh God is so good!! What an incredible God we serve :-). Love your cross card - do you want my snail mail address to send it too;-).
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your story of the needlepoint entering your life in the most unexpected of ways brings me joy - and sparks a memory. Although I don't do it often any more (card-making has taken over *grin*), I love to cross-stitch. My favourite images when I began - and continue to this day (I have a partially started birth sampler for my nephew awaiting attention) - are Noah's Ark themed. Indeed, at one time I was a collector of things Noah-themed, from pairs of small animals, to framed pictures, to tea towels. Several items from my collecting days are on display in our home! Anyway...at one point, one of my uncles was experiencing significant health issues, and given that mobility was difficult for him, he took up cross-stitching. His work was incredible; so much so that telling front from back was challenging, so precise were his stitches! I had several books of patterns and partially completed projects in my stash, so I sent them his way. His delight at receiving them made my heart sing. Over time, he started to design his own patterns; each of his grandchildren have something hand-made especially for them, by him. My uncle passed away two years ago - such a loss, because he was a big man with an even bigger heart - but each time I pick up my cross-stitch, I'm flooded with memories of him. Your needlepoint, when I first saw it, ignited similar thoughts - and reading the 'full' story - launched another round of fond recollections of Uncle Frank. Thank you! Your card: gorgeous! A smaller canvas than your lovely needlework, but a work of art just the same! Once again, our paths crossing is a real blessing!! Hugs to you!!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  26. Each time I visit here my heart is touched. Your Jill has been in my prayers and thoughts and I am finally able to get online for a visit to your wonderfully inspiring blog! I am sorry it has been a while I am sorry it has been awhile. I ran into an intestine bug following the bronchitis and even missed Easter with my family. Still getting back up to speed....lol! As speedy as I can be anyway. Praying all is well and the healing hand of the spirit touches both of your hearts each day with peace and joy! Hugs - Jill2

    ReplyDelete
  27. This really is lovely - great stitching and I love the edge of your creation. I can see this as a beautiful book cover. Gorgeous!

    Hugs to you Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't know anyone with so many different and outstanding talents! You must not watch TV because you can accomplish the impossible (to me) details in everything you create. Thank you for sharing your talents with us. My specialty is making a gigantic MESS!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow...what a awesome card...I love the string (forgot the technique) But LOVE all your details!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh dear heavens- this is absolutely fabulous! I would have to frame this!!! What a great story about finding that kit : )

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.