Pages

Followers

Monday, April 28, 2014

April 29, 2014 Simple Treasures

We rave over the complex but we marvel at the simple.
Amelia Barr Quote
This is misleading in some ways because nothing in the universe is really simple. There is a complexity that we endeavor to understand. Since we can not hope to reach the end and understand everything we endeavor to create a universal rule for everything. REALLY? It is still going to be a tangled mess. It is still going to have IF, AND and that ever present BUT to mess it all up. For we ordinary folk what really matters is the simplicity in all of that complexity. The simple joy of life lived. For us as crafters it is the joy of sharing, inspiring, caring and, yes, loving as gift to others. As we have been given gifts we must give of what we have. Lk 12:33–34 "Sell your possessions and give to those in need. Get yourselves purses that do not wear out, treasure that will not fail you, in heaven where no thief can reach it and no moth destroy it. For wherever your treasure is, that is where your heart will be too." My treasure is with you.  Where is yours.

The New Jerusalem Bible. (1985). (Lk 12:33–34). New York: Doubleday.


Today I have a card I made from an Impression Obsession image. My Dear Wife said it is one she likes the best out of the ones I have colored so far. That automatically makes it the one I will use. It is called "Window Garden Box." 


Copic Colors: BG01, B02, RV14, YR01, RV25, R56, E59, YG05, Y08, V05, R27, YG09, G46, W1, E71, RV00, E08, T0

This image was fun to color. As with most images with gardens, whether box or open ground, it can be a bit difficult to tell what are and aren't flowers until you start coloring. The viola! They just seem to pop out of nowhere. I managed to find them all and identify them...I think...oh well doesn't matter because here is the card.


 As with all of my cards so far everything is done by hand. First off the half doily is actually a stencil from Marianne Design.  It is called anja style stencil. I used some Post-It tape to hold it to the yellow card stock and traced out the stencil. I used a razor knife to fussy cut the image out. Fun. I colored all of those little dots with a gold Crayola pencil I kept from grade school to make them look as though they were punched out. I didn't really keep it from grade school I sneaked it from Jill's pencils when she wasn't looking. Smile. OOPS. I forgot she reads this. Nuts! Caught.

I cut card stock 6"X9" and scored it for top fold card. I cut a piece of grey card stock as a background and adhered it to the card with Scor-Tape.

I adhered the image to the Grey background with 1/4" Scor-Tape. To accomplish this with the stencil cutout I used 1/8" Scor-Tape an cut 1/2" pieces and put them in key areas to assure it would be held securely.
      
 Next I black peel offs on the stencil cutout and to edge the image. I also used holographic peel offs to highlight between the arcs on the outside of the stencil.

To finish the card and separate the image from the stencil I used washi tape as a boarder around the image.

I thought about more embellishments but decided not to. I guess you could say it is an clean but I don't know about simple. This is a bit early but there are things that must be attended to for the next few days so I am not sure how much time will be available to me. 

Just remember to always pay attention to and  LOVE THE DETAILS. Now maybe that should learn to type. NAH! It's more fun when I do typo's and make you laugh.



 

27 comments:

  1. Beautiful window box full of flowers!!!! Very pretty image. I am in awe of your razor knife fussy cutting. I must not be buying the correct knives because my knives would tear this up not cut such intricate pieces! Thanks for sharing your art and your thoughts! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, some good thoughts. It's well to be reminded all the earth's things are just transient. As dust. Personally, I get caught up in things, and need that reminder. So thanks for that. Also, loved this card. I hear you on finding the flowers when you're coloring such an intricate stamp. Frequently I'll blob on color where it shouldn't be! Looks like you found all the right places on this pretty work. Now, I'm blown away by that doily. That was some tedious & labor intensive work with a knife & would not be my cup of tea! But you did a fab job on it. Enjoyed reading all the work you put into this one. Liked your idea of Washi border too. I just thought it was DP backing your image. This is one stunning card, and I'm with Jill. (well, I'm still blown away by the Facial stamp, but this one is next!) You're going great guns in your card making too. You submitting these to any challenges? If not, when time permits, you certainly should! Hope you & DW are having a good week, now that many worries are in the past! TFS & Hugs to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful image, and you colored it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness - what a labour of love with the colouring, never mind the 'die cut' - that is amazing!! And I love the final result. Well done!
    Oh yes, Praise God for simplicity - even if we cannot comprehend the complexity of most things!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty image and love the window box full of flowers. I know the flowers were probably trying to hide from you as you colored them. :-) I do like when I have a colored picture of the stamp to help me along with things like this. I am so terrible with a craft knife, no matter how many different ones I use. Occasionally, I have to use one, though. You did a fab job cutting the stencil.

    I think Jill knows by now you sneaked her gold Crayola pencil. She has probably dusted for fingerprints and now you're really caught. Ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like others have said in a comment before me...I am amazed at your work with the exacto knife. You know how I feel about using one...too intimidated...but I will use the present you gave me...even though I have to use an exacto knife with it. I'll post about that on my blog... Really like that image (as you already know...smile) beautiful coloring on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your fab window box- and all of the attention to details! And, thanks for that dose of Words of Wisdom! We have a joke n my family about 'Things and Stuff'. You are so right....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I was the only one who enjoyed all that tedious hand-cutting, but I can see I'm not alone! LOL NJ on that cutting and coloring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have several IO stamps similar to this and have such a hard time coloring them - but you did wonderfully on it! Those flowers just pop right out of the box! So pretty. Love the stencil you used and that fussy cutting is WOWSERS! That was one very sharp knife you used. I'm thinking you need to tell everyone now what kind of knife you used so we can all go grab one!! Fabulous card!!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm I would probably be a few fingers missing by now Jim if I had tried to cut this out LOL but fab card and gorgeous image..take care huggles Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The perfect card! I love the yellow doily on the side and your coloring is always superb!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jim, this is wonderful! Pretty image and you colored it really well! Sharp knives can be great crafting tools and you did a fab job with that stencil. I had the funniest image of you sneaking Jill's pencil!

    Love your post! Very thought-provoking! Hugz!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jim I always enjoy reading your thoughts! Always inspiring both in art and in word!!! I am especially inspired by your card today because I have both this image, which I love but is NOT that easy to color... and so I seldom use it... and I have this gorgeous stencil... and yes, I hand cut it out with a blade! So I know the labor of love this was... and it is ever so beautiful!!! I really love how you colored the image... especially the curtains! They look like the soft sheers my Mom used to have in the living room and I always loved them so! Thanks as always for the reminder... the Scripture... each day older I get, the more I'm focused on my future home! This one's wearing out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jim: lovely card and so the coloring. I specially liked your thoughts...and I agree with you. my rule # 1, since not long ago is to use everything that I have and If not give it away for a new home to be used...specially us women who like clothes. So now I used every stamp, object etc etc that i have and enjoy it NOW.
    BTW, I like learning new abbreviations as you said "bloggers" and the world of today is being reign by this new trend...but a bit sad too for the loss of our dear grammar and orthography. but I like to be in this modern world too! so now we both know that DW is "Do not worry" ha ha ha...and not Dear wife!!! :)
    bye for now
    bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful card, amazing that you cut out the Marriane die by hand. Thanks for visiting me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh its so good to be back and reading your posts Jim, as well as the laughs you always give food fof thought.
    Love thd card, so glad to see you creating cards from your beautiful coloured images. The washi tape border is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful words and a very creative window card the colouring is lovely!

    Have a lovely day

    Vic x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful and so full of gorgeous detail!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! That doily must have taken ages to cut by hand... amazing job! and the stamped image is lovely, beautifully coloured too! A gorgeous card!
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous fussy cutting, do you find it therapeutic? The intense concentration and focus remove all other thoughts for me. The coloring is superb...so lovely I want to sit on that porch. Thanks for the visit and thoughtful advise. Carole

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful coloring of this pretty image, Jim! I know exactly what you mean about coloring flowers and trying to figure out what's what! I can't believe you cut that stencil by hand, wow, lot of work and turned out beautifully! Blessings! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can vouch for the complexity of coloring such tiny flowers. I botched something much less complicated just yesterday. Of course it was the last flower! LOL, life tends to keep us humble. Your window and box are gorgeous as always and I'm amazed at your fussy cutting! Definitely love these details!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful card!! Great colors and design!! Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. But you're very good and you have infinite patience! How did you cut out the doily so perfectly?! It seems cut with a die! Very very compliment, a beautiful card! I like this layout.
    Ileana

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely gorgeous and smacks of spring. Your lovely wife is correct, the colouring and design is superb. I just adore your inspirational intro to the post.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  26. Totally amazing, I love how your posts get me thinking of other things. Thanks for always stopping by!!! Means lots! Kimberly.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are spot on about how you often can't tell what are flowers and what aren't until you get in there and start coloring. You have colored this finely detailed image to a T!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.