Pages

Followers

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

May 14, 2014 Hidden Treasures

Our days are filled with hidden treasures if we dare to look for them.

When we speak of treasures the first thing that comes to mind are treasure chests filled with gold or finding a long lost major art piece at a yard sale or in the trash. Really? Those odds are not in the millions to one, they are are in the billions to one. That is not long odds, that is to the moon without a space ship. There are better treasures than that and at a cost anyone can afford. The COST? Yepper! There is a cost. Time and an open heart. I have decided not to join in on challenges or get myself tied up in clubs or clicks. If that makes me different, GOOD. It is more important to realize our treasure is in each other and that we share that specialness through what we share. Have you ever heard anyone say, "But, but they get on my nerves, and, and I don't like what they create!" or "That isn't my taste in creating things." or "They never stop by and comment." REALLY?? As you judge so you shall be judged. If you say there is nothing positive to be found you haven't looked hard enough. I admit there are times I feel that way, at which point I must pause, back up and take another look. If I see nothing, I move on. Be sure that I will return because nothing is without merit. Only evil is without merit. Where do your hidden treasures lie? Psalms 119:11-12 "In my heart I treasure your promises, to avoid sinning against you. Blessed are you, Yahweh, teach me your will!"

The New Jerusalem Bible. (1985). (Ps 119:11–12). New York: Doubleday.


I am off on that "which way did he go George" path again. Yeah, I jumped off the horse and climbed onto the jackass and am headed off to who knows where. OH, I KNOW! Lets do something different. HEY! Stop groaning. WE are going to burnish some 3" armor plate. UUUHHH! Belay that. We are going to take a piece of 36 gage brass foil and create an image on it. What are I goin' to done with it. I dunno. But we gonna' done it any who.

(WARNING: DO NOT USE SHARP OR POINTED TOOLS. YOU WILL RUIN YOUR WORK) and I don't have enough band-aides to go around.  
It has been years since trying this. Don't ask how many, cuz I ain't tellin'. This was about 4 1/2 hours from start to finish. I thought it was fun myself. Here is the list of things you will need. There are pictures for those that don't like to read and explanations for those that don't know what they are looking at. (That would be me) If that doesn't help stop back on the next post. I'll understand.

36 gage tooling foil (comes in Brass, Copper and Aluminum. Brass shown)
Tape for the edge to prevent cuts (not Shown)
Band-aides if you don't tape the edges (Too graphic to show)

3/8" stiff foam pad (mouse pad or even a stack of old magazine will do)
Tape to hold the work to the pad (packing tape will do since metal will try to lift)
A pair of old shears or small tin snips
A burnishing set (if you have a paper craft burnishing set it will work)
Hardwood clay molding tools (some sets have the metal ball end tools)
Sharpie or other pointy marker
Tracing paper
An image that fits the foil size you will use.
(the image should not be the same size as the foil but 2/3  to 3/4 the size of the foil.)
You will also need a pencil and an eraser. If you are like me the eraser will be needed even thought it will only be used for tracing.
A ruler.

I cut my foil to a 4"X4" square. I then took Heavy Post It tape, cut four 4 1/2" strips and covered all four edges of the foil. I will not need the Band-Aides, will you? Next I laid the foil on the mouse pad and taped it down securely with 3M packing tape. Set the pad and foil aside and cut a piece of the tracing paper and tape it to the image with minimum tack tape. Trace your image. Trim the tracing paper with the image on it so it will fit the foil . My image is roughly 2 1/2" on a side so I made sure it fit in the center of the foil. Tape it fast to the foil and packing tape making sure no tape is on the image. (If you were to have tape on the image it will be difficult to impossible to trace through.

Now the fun begins. Take the smallest metal ball ended burnishing tool, Mine is 1mm, and, pressing down firmly, trace the outlines on the tracing paper. Don't miss any. It will make it harder later if you do. Make multiple passes if need be to assure a good outline. When you are sure your out line has been transfered to the foil, remove the tracing paper. Looks pretty good, huh?

From this point on it is a matter of using the other tools to press the metal inside the image to form the features desired. I used the metal ball ends to "fill" in between the outline by gently but firmly rubbing until the different areas produced the desired features. Once that is achieved I used the wood burnishing tool to smooth out the rough spots and to give a finished look. The finished product is not bad. Very much and amateur job but a good start. Have a look.
It doesn't show up well in a photo but then again neither does any shiny object. The lines are much more defined than you see here. The lines you see faintly around the image were left when I used one of the wooden tools that looks like a serrated knife to flatten the brass foil. Notice the tape is still on the edges. The 4.5 hours was needed. You need to be patient in this process. It is worth it.

This project was inspired by a very special lady and friend, Bibiana who is a very talented and extraordinary artist. Please be sure to visit her. She also does wonderful tutorials.

I am sure you will let me know how dumb and inadequate my little tutorial was. Cherokee likes it. The image that is. I will trim it and ruin it by trying to make a card with it or something. Oh well, if it gets ruined I can use it for target practice or something.

Next time the card or a chunk of metal with holes in it. SMILE. Remember LOVE THE DETAILS.

21 comments:

  1. Not dumb or inadequate at all - it's fabulous! This would just look awesome framed all by itself. Beautiful!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this is a vision! WOW! I used to do this type of foil work when I was really young and it's nice to see that it's something we can do for adult crafting ! Absolutely stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project, great (and amusing) tutorial with an excellent outcome - to my eyes :-). Love that finished product.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing project today with stunning results thanks for sharing love and Happy Crafting Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in suspense as I scrolled down looking at your instructions...could hardly wait to see what you had done. It was worth it as this is a beautiful piece. Of course, I do love birds so that made it even more special.
    I do know Bibiana's work...very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jim,
    How right are you about the gifts :) Your patience on your crafty creation paid off-i agree with Lynn-would look great framed.
    Thank you for all the lovely comments you have left me recently-i am glad to be able to stop by and say hello to you for a change today :)
    Have a good day,Nessa xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, this is awesome, it came out beautiful. Good tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once again, I just love all the truths in your opening to the post. Thanks for sharing it. I adore your brass birdie creation. It would look great on a piece of wood at the front door.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so cool, Jim! It came out awesome and you did a great job on the tutorial!

    Blessings! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved reading your blog and then your tutorial is absolutely awesome..great work Jim huggles Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bird came out beautiful! I'm clueless as to what I was looking at, but that's my state of mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. HEY! Jim..WONDERFUL! I am so pleased to see your project of today! it looks fab and I am envious of your wood tools they look fab! after I did my tutorial I went and bought a LOT of tools for working with metal!!! LOL I will make soon a video on my "haul"?? I am not sure about this word...ja ja ja!, anyways on all the stuff that I bought!
    can't wait to see what you will do (both) with the goodies from BLueMoon!!! Jill will share them with you?
    thanks a lot for the Link to my site too...very nice gesture and I am so glad that you got to do this metal project too!!!
    bye for now
    bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful tutorial! Thanks for the pictures to go along with the text. I'm liking your clay tools - need to search and destroy for a set of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun JIm! Love the project. My favorite creations are the ones I do because I love a new image or technique or have a special reason to make the card - when your heart is really into it then it just seems so much better. I also agree with your comments about looking for the positive in something - there is always beauty in things that are not evil. Love the way you look at things. Hugz!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful and informative tutorial - and it's made me remember that I have those bird images. Aboslutely lovely work and lovely meditations on "treasure" - it's always so encouraging to be around those who believe in laying theirs up in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just fabulous! Love the image you debossed and I have to admit- I saw the card you made with it first : ) Glad you did not need any bandaids!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I can say with all honesty that I find a Billion treasures visiting your blog Jim. My eldest daughter helps run a food bank at church for people in need........I come to you!!! ?..lol we buy and donate every day supplies to keep it running.

    I should put a banner on my side bar...Cheroke's good food bar.....ha-ha

    Love the tutorial, what a gorgeous end product. And a perfect choice to use the little bird.
    Thanks for the clear instructions...another one to add to my "to try" list.
    Have a Blessed week
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excuse me...but did you write "very much an amateur job'?? No way, my friend, no way! Your burnishing looks quite the opposite: very much professional, very much detailed, and very much beautiful! What an interesting technique and such an informative tutorial (so glad band-aids weren't needed *grin*). I received a treasure today (everything is a treasure, but you know what I mean...): a short video from my brother, showing my nephew riding his run bike! Yes, I'm a biased Aunty, but he is just so darn cute on that thing!! He's learning balance wonderfully...and now that he has the wee bike figured out, he becomes all the more 'portable' for walks! Yayyy...Speaking of treasures: You! Blessings~c

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your insight on hidden treasures, many of which are not so hidden if only we open our hearts and eyes. I love seeing from whence the bird came from. Once I decided to punch a sun shape out of a lightweight sheet of copper I had. I put a piece of copper in the punch, turned the punch upside down like I always did since it was large, and pushed down on it. YEEEOUCH! Every one of those metal points of sunrays imbedded themselves into my palm. So yes! Keep those Band-Aids handy when working with metals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good for you. I don't see any blood on that little guy! And I really like the card you made with him. The two birds on the wire on the inside are the perfect addition, too. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a beautiful image! Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.