Pages

Followers

Saturday, May 17, 2014

May 18, 2014 Ageing

Aging is that time in life where everything is wrinkled.

    The wife and I were discussing life and getting old the other day and generally agreed it sucks like sour grapes. Getting old means standing together in front of the bathroom mirror and comparing medications to see who takes the most or who has the most wrinkles. My mother had an index finger with arthur's ritus that caused her finger to point slightly downward. If she pointed at you and didn't say anything you would check to see if your fly was open. Lot's of fun at parties I'm sure. Getting old sucks!
    I used to make fun of age spots and didn't understand what they were. One day I notice a spot that was in a place where it was clear skin but now is occupied by a brown spot. Each day it seems to be more prominent. Bleach doesn't remove it so it isn't a stain. The doctor says its an age spot. Getting old sucks.
    Have you ever noticed that you have some hair on your shoulder but it was the wrong color so it wasn't yours. When you look next to you there is a gent wearing a rug that does not match the hair around the sides but does match the hair on your shoulder. A shedding hair piece? Uh, OK! Getting old Sucks!
    Have you ever sneezed and realized your partial has departed. After a VERY discrete search you spot it leaving the premices stuck to someone's heavy cleated shoe. Now what? Getting old sucks.
    We all have gotten up and left a room only to forget what you were going to do. Upon returning through that very same doorway you suddenly remember what it was you were going to do. Now you go through that door way and halfway to where you were going, YEP, forgot again. You go back thinking you are going crazy and, Yep, now you remember. THE DOORWAY DUMMY. IT'S THE DOORWAYS FAULT. Solution? Write it down so the doorway can't make you forget what the heck you wanted in the first place. Grip that little piece of paper like it was your last ten bucks until you make it to the next room and if you still remember keep it until you get to where your going and drop to your knees and hold it to heaven and say "THANK YOU LORD, I REMEMBER, I WROTE IT DOWN."  Getting old sucks!
    My dear wife is always asking me if we are having fun yet. I always tell her that no one has explained to me what fun is. Some times I laugh just because everyone else is laughing. To this day I still wonder what the punch line was. Punch line? What was the joke? Fun huh? Hope my fly isn't open! Getting old sucks. 

       "This is the day which the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."

The Revised Standard Version. (1971). (Ps 118:24). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.


 Now that we have that out of the way I need a nap. Old age you know. LOL. That brass plate that I mangled. It is now a mangled card. I should take my nap and make you wait but that wouldn't be Kosher...er...Christian. TADA. What were we talking about? OH yeah. Its on my little sheet of paper. Lets see......" show them the card DUMMY." Here it is......
 

 This was the foil image before attempting to make a card. It was surprisingly easy to do a card using this image. 



I used paper from The Mariposa Matstack for the cover. Used an oval Spellbinder die to provide the window for the image. Scor-tape was used to attach the image to the rear of the opening temporarily. A 9"X6.5" piece of card stock was scored and folded to make a top fold card measuring 4.5" high X 6.5" wide. Scor_tape was used to firmly attach the card face to the card. The tape was run across the back of the foil several times to insure a firm hold and attached to the card body.
A second designer paper from Lost & Found #2 was used to create the inside of the card. 

  Peel and stick silver chain and strips were used to finish the inside of the card and to create a highlight frame for the front image. The two spellbinder die cut feathers were colored with Copics and added as embellishments. T colors are E35, E37, E50. There is a bit of detail that I figured out how to bring out by positioning the two lights used for photographing the the card.




 As you can see there is some detail visible that is not visible on the other photos. That is it for now. As long as I don't have to go through any doorways or forget to write down what I want to remember I will share more next time. Remember to LOVE THE DETAILS.




38 comments:

  1. Yes - I know what you mean about old age - it surely isn't for wimps!! DH wins as far as meds and wrinkles go in this house, but platinum blond highlights - I think I am about to overtake him in that department :-(. The doorway is to blame, everytime!!
    Love your card - it really makes the bird come to life.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting old sucks but I am absolutely sure that I don't want to go back and be seventeen again either ! So I am living and enjoying today and this year.
    Love the card. The MME paper is a fav of mine
    Hugs Nick
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. The metallic bird looks comfortably settled into your pretty card! I love the details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The embossed brass is so beautiful, fabulous design. Getting old(er) is difficult in some ways but liberating in others. As my husband says "getting older beats the alternative". We just have to laugh at ourselves, cherish each day and do our best to stay healthy. Cheers, Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting old has its challenges for sure. But now we have learned not to take things for granted (like teeth that don't fall out when you sneeze, the ability to walk and drive, etc). I remember a few years ago there was a song called to the class of 1980 or wear sunscreen or something like that. It was a letter to graduates telling them to wear sunscreen, and stop worrying so much about how they look because they will look back and realize they were the most beautiful they would ever look, and to hug their loved ones because they may not always be around. That song is so true! Unfortunately we don't realize it until we are older. OK - not sure how I went off on that tangent - must have been the doorway!

    Your card is stunning - such a different medium and it looks so elegant and artsy. You are so talented and you bring such a fresh look to card making!

    Hugz to you and Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL......Getting old? I'll just say something like, you're as old as you feel. Ha Then again, some days I feel really old. Other days, almost like a teenager. Now, that would be fun.

    I really like how your bird card turned out. Both the inside and outside look great. I love the peel off stickers and use them on occasion, myself. Beautiful Mariposa and Lost and Found papers.

    Have a wonderful Sunday...raining here and has been since Friday night...off and on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now it's the failure of my teeth to age gracefully that has me feeling old. Luckily I'm near a border so I can afford the root canals and crowns (and stimulate the Mexican economy all in one).

    Love the metal embossed bird! I remember giving that technique a try. I wonder if I still have the metal sheets around?? I love how your card came out. The paper you used--inside and out to boot--is wonderful. It is really busy paper (on the front) but you showed it how was boss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have that old age discussion, too, but being a nurse I'm always grateful to be alive to have the complaints--LOL! Love the foil embossed image & your card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a STUNNER, Jim - the detail you've achieved in the gold foil is amazing - this looks so rich! And the paper chosen for the inside adds to the overal rich feel. Your "getting old" observations really made me smile - I actually didn't realize that certain body parts would start to "go" so early on - it's been a rude awakening! Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha You made me chuckle- I miss my memory the most! I say , "What am I hereafter" so many times a day it is not the least bit funny....... And, your card is fabulous!!! You have reminded me about a foil embossed ATC swap I never posted..... Better get that up soon : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun post.. put a smile on my face :). Love..Love your card. The details from the foil came out great. It's a beauty inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let's see.....first I'll comment on your card - which, by the way, is stunning - inside and out!! Fabulous paper you used and it's perfect for the star attraction!
    Now.....getting old..........Mercy me.....I'm older than dirt and yes, it really does suck at times. Usually it's really not a laughing matter either but what can we do! LOL! We're still getting up out of bed every morning so that's just gotta be a plus!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Before I forget....Your card is gorgeous! This brought back memories of doing a similar technique when I was in 7th or 8th grade! Thanks for the memory! And isn't it great that wrinkles don't hurt and neither do age spots! Growing old ain't for sissies and the alternative isn't too good! God bless us in our old age.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jim wow your card is stunning! I did giggle over your mum pointing and having to check your flies were up ;) lovely post as usual I'm sure you would be great at writing a book!

    Have a lovely day

    Vic x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your card turned out beautifully Jim, love the centrpiece and the paper and detail are perfection.
    Now what's this about AGE I really haven't a clue what you are talking about....cough cough!!!!
    I just know I am so grateful I still can remember the name of the handy man.... lol and so glad we have grown old together.
    Hugs Mau......think that's my name...see I am having a young day today :))

    ReplyDelete
  16. amazing creation and what a fabulous technique brilliant Love and Happy Crafting Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Getting Old essay was so very true!! I love what you did with your card, Jim, and how you showcased your bird! I love that Mariposa stack and think it's perfect for your card. I really love the inside, too! Have a great week! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always say getting old isn't for sissys! After I turned 50, I notice I keep saying..."I havent had that before" And I'm saying it alot lol!! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mr Cherokee
    Fabulous card. The papers are divine and the embossing is super.
    Well, thanks for giving me something to look forward to in my dotage lol! I'm clinging on to my 40s and staying put!
    Best wishes.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, getting old...sighhh...How funny that your mom had arthur's itis in her finger, as my grandmother did, as well. Made for some interesting 'gestures'...oh, what great memories you've sparked!! Your card: nothing short of stunning, gorgeous, elegant, exquisite and beautiful! I may be aging, but at this moment, I remember the superlatives...and they're all headed your way, because you've captured the 'details' fabulously! Blessing~c

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your card, Jim! The bird is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful, the bird on the metal is wonderful and love how it takes center stage on your
    card even with the lovely print. Inside papers are perfect too.

    Getting old, don't even get me started................

    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  23. And now..........I forget why I am on the computer. I get sidetracked by a blog, a comment, a shiny thing and TOTALLY forget why I sat down at the computer at all. Getting old sucks! :)

    Your card however does NOT suck. It's a beauty. The foil image is awesome and I do love that paper on the inside! I still haven't used it because I love the birds so much I don't know how to use it without taking away from them. Your card is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your writing is just too funny!! Always good for a chuckle along with the truth!! I too must always write it down!! I am amazed at how quickly I can forget something. Now you've got me wondering if I've got one of those doorways in my house!!!!!

    Love your metallic bird on this pretty card!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the details, yes I do! Awesome job on that bird. I also laughed pretty card right along with you about how getting old sucks! Ya it does. People think that I carry around rice krispies since I snap, crackle and pop all the time! UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh your post just has me smiling! I couldn't agree with you more and I'm feeling it now more than ever these days!

    Your card is magnificent! What a beautiful image, draped in gold and a stand out amidst the crowd! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow what an amazing technique, I am totally inspired to do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, you're so funny, Jim! LOL, I hate getting old too!

    Love how your card came out, beautifully done! Perfect papers for it too! Blessings! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jim, with my free 8 minutes this morning while gulping down my coffee before I leave for the day I just had to visit your blog. Boy, am I glad I did! (I'm going to copy and paste your written thoughts which would be exactly my soliloquy) That is priceless and so funny! Don't be discouraged... It's young folk that remind us of better times. Stay away from the young. They do more harm than good for real grown ups. My daughter is home and now I feel short and fat with aching joints. The good thing is that I have friends in the same condition.

    Anyway I just love your foil embossing and it is outstanding The complete project is stunningly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love birds and butterflies most and your art work is stunning!
    I wish you a nice weekend,
    big hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good afternoon Jim, First of all your card is stunning, I love that gold effect it's stands out beautifully.
    Secondly, I can appreciate everything you say about getting old, my hubby and I are the same, every morning we wake up and have to do several stretching exercises to get the joints working before we can start the day :)
    getting old certainly does suck! But at least we can stretch and get on with it which we are grateful for.
    Take care of yourself and your lovely wife.
    Hugs Teresa x

    ReplyDelete
  32. My mum has The Finger - confuses my dad no end. And I'm lucky if I can still remember what I wanted to write down by the time I've found a pen. And paper. Your bird plate looks fabulous encased in that luxurious card.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Whoa! What an awesome card Jim! You really achieved beautiful details of the bird! The die cut feathers add a nice touch! Beautiful inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I believe the saying goes..."Getting old isn't for the faint of heart!" And boy is that TRUE! And I can so identify with going to the next room to get or do something and then being completely unable to remember WHAT I was going to get or do!! Ugh!
    Your card is truly lovely! I love how you framed the image with the chain! What an exquisite card!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great post and a I love your sense of humor! Well done to you to formulate your posts to show people what is important according to the Bible! You are being renewed on the inside every day. Beautiful card - I just love birds!

    ReplyDelete
  36. How funny. Sounds just like here at our house, especially with the meds. And we used to laugh at relatives who traveled carrying a suitcase of meds & vitamins along. Laughter at others has a bad way of coming back to haunt us! Yep, old age is not all that fun, but on the up side, we have been blessed to have made it this long, and I am sorry to say, I think our generation probably had the best of what was on offer. I think a lot of that was because people still had 'values' and religious beliefs that respected others' views, even if you didn't subscribe to them. Manners, a work ethic, compassion & caring. Also believed in earning & working for what you wanted out of life, hoping to be given the grace to achieve those things perhaps not within our own powers of ability. But God is good, and He understands our troubles, and is with each of us in the journey back to His Arms. Loved this card. Never tried this with the foil, but it is definitely very pretty. Wonderful papers along with the shapes to show off the delicate embossing on the bird. Well done! (Don't mix up those pills!). TFS & Hugs to you & Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Well, I always say it's better than the alternative!

    What a beautiful card! Love the impression in the foil! An elegant beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  38. great card I liked it very much!
    Hugs from California Bibiana

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.