Pages

Followers

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Sin

 Eskimo: 'If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?' Priest: 'No, not if you did not know.' Eskimo: 'Then why did you tell me?'

Annie Dillard 

 

Definitions of sin: (Webster's Dictionary)

1aan offense against religious or moral law
ban action that is or is felt to be highly reprehensibleit's a sin to waste food
can often serious shortcoming FAULT
2atransgression of the law of God

ba vitiated state of human nature in which the self is estranged from God

Living this life without sinning is impossible. No matter what we think,  we are sinning each and every day. Every day is fraught with sin in some way in something we have done, failed to do, said or thought. If this were not so there would have been no need for Christ to die on the cross. The garden of Eden would be here and now, visible, our place of habitation. It is here but we are not able to see or experience it in this life. (more on that in a later post) I was attending a charismatic meeting many years ago where the celebrant minister was on this very subject. A woman behind me said that they did not have that problem. Unless she was an angel among us that could not have been a more fool's statement. That is like saying Christ did not need to be crucified for me. In fact, what reason would there have been for this person to be in attendance at a Christian gathering to praise someone that sacrificed themselves to forgive the sins that this person said they did not commit. There are enough ways to sin to keep us out of heaven without even trying. It seems we need only breathe to commit sin. It is why my favorite prayer is the Jesus prayer. Lord Jesus Christ, only son of our Father, have mercy on me, a sinner. This prayer is uttered many times a day whether I realize my sins or not. There are many forms of this prayer but I prefer the simplest, most direct form of it. Sin is personal. No one can commit my sin but me. Forgiveness is only possible through belief in Jesus Christ and a repentant heart. It is, however, up to us to forgive those that trespass against us. (The Lord's Prayer you say at "Mass" or church services, at a meal or before retiring at night) The hardest thing to do is to forgive one's self for the things we do to ourselves and others. It isn't whether we sin or not but whether we realize we need to forgive and be forgiven. It is a major part of the lesson we have to learn as we strive to understand what this life is all about.  

Of all the images I have done, the one I cherish most is the one below. It has been retouched to give it more depth and life. It is from Imagineanddo. Unfortunately the artist is no longer able to produce beauty like this due to to physical limitations. I will forever be thankful for her kindness and instructions on coloring images. 


The Copic colors are:

B0000, RV0000, RV000, YR0000, YR000, BG01, R01, E50, YR30

That is it for this week. May the good Lord hold you close and bless you always.

6 comments:

  1. Lots of food for thought there Jim - says one (forgiven) sinner to another.
    Your colouring is exquisite - and this is image is amazing
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a powerful post indeed. I think that a lot of people are like the lady that sat behind you and think they don't sin. But we are all sinner's. We are decedents from Adam and Eve, who sinned. Therefore we have original sin in us. I love simple prayer too, direct prayer. Like I'm talking to the Lord face to face. Let us pray for our sins and sins against others, asking for mercy on us....a sinner. Great post Jim!

    Your colored image is breathtaking! The image is gorgeous, but you brought it to life with your coloring and I'm in awe. Love, hugs & blessings, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much talent, congratulations.Gostei do seu blog 👏👏 Obrigada.Bom final de semana.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.