Pages

Followers

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

March 13, 2014 Treasures

Treasures of the heart are eternal.


We all have out treasures. Our treasures say much about who we are and where we are. Most have things they consider to be treasures. Ask yourself what would happen if the things you consider to be treasures were stripped away. Would they still be treasures? The pictures, savings, home, pets or anything gone. What would be your treasures from this point on? Most have lost a loved one. Are they still with you? Herein is your treasure not the physical but the memory. Einstein was on the mark. Our treasuries are not on earth because they are not permanent but transitional. They will all become dust. We can leave them as a dowry in a will but even this is not guaranteed. We certainly can't take them with us when we leave this earth. What is your greatest treasure? Where is your greatest pleasure? I'll bet you can't reach out and touch it physically. Matthew 6:19-21  "Do not store up treasures for yourselves on earth, where moth and woodworm destroy them and thieves can break in and steal.  But store up treasures for yourselves in heaven, where neither moth nor woodworm destroys them and thieves cannot break in and steal. For wherever your treasure is, there will your heart be too."

The New Jerusalem Bible. (1985). (Mt 6:19–21). New York: Doubleday.  


Since the last post many have commented in the comment section and in an email. Thank you so much for your support. You are all my treasure. I am grateful for all of you.

You all seemed to enjoy my bird photography so today I am going to share several special photos with you. The first is a Red Tailed Hawk that I played peek-a-boo with at the top of my neighbors pine tree. 
This as are the next two images, distance shots. The top of the pine is some 50 to  60 feet high. The next shot is a different day but  a full on image.
Shooting into a bright sky is a problem but it was far enough away from the sun to be satisfactory. Next the Hawk in flight. This is a favorite of mine.
This was an extreme distance straight up shot. Difficult but I got a lot of detail. My next  three images are of a sweet little female dove that had no problem coming up to me and under me as long as I sat still and made no quick moves. Fun.




The middle picture shows a little of the color when the sun hits the feathers at exactly the right angle.

That's it for today. Hope you liked the pictures. I doubt I will be sharing before next week. We are preparing for Jill's aunt to visit from Texas. Until then I still LOVE THE DETAILS.

       

20 comments:

  1. These are awesome photos you're sharing today. I occasionally see a hawk in the woods behind my house. I once saw one catch a bluejay, carry it to my pond on the rocks and have lunch. I really didn't want to see that. Once, I saw a hawk catch a snake and fly off with it dangling from the beak. That was o.k. with me because I can't stand snakes.

    Enjoy Jill's aunt's visit.

    I hear the doves in the summertime around dusk and early in the morning with their mournful cooing. They do come into my back yard, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ditto with Benzi's comments about these awesome pictures. Boy do I wish I had some of your photography skills. That hawk is fearsome. Love the shimmery pink on the dove as well. As usual, enjoyed the words of wisdom. Good to be reminded that our earthly treasures are fleeting. I have several that are so dear to me, hope I don't lose them - but the other treasures I have lost, are waiting for me one day to join them. But as I said, good to think about that, and keep priorities straight. Enjoy your visit. Hope your area weather will be pleasant for a Texan who is probably used to sunshine & warm. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words once again - and truly our treasure cannot be measured. It is in love, and relationships that I have greatest joy.
    Love your photography, and your bird shots are fantastic.
    Blessings
    MAxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous pictures as always! Blogger seems to be behaving for me this morning, so I'm trying to play catch-up. I do love it when Cherokee "hi-jacks" the posts, lol.
    I think we all know exactly what you mean by this blogging business being time consuming, and I'm certain everyone understands and will be waiting patiently for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What awesome photos, what beautiful creatures. Love your post this morning, I always say " I have a treasure box when opened, it seems to be empty, but is filled". :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful post; one that certainly is giving me pause to reflect on those people - and yes, 'things' - I treasure. I'm thinking I need to focus more energy on touching lives in a positive, compassionate way; on remembering to 'dance in the rain,' to stop putting 'self' and my needs ahead of others. You've sparked some internal conversation that 'self' must have with 'self'.' Your photographs here are stellar; you've captured the majesty of both the hawk and dove. We occasionally see hawks where I live (Alberta, Canada), as well as eagles. Elegant and exquisite! One of the most fascinating raptors I've seen was when we trekked in Nepal - the lammergeier. Huge...absolutely huge. Enjoy, immensely, time with Jill's aunt. I hope many delightful details unfold for you with this visit. I'm so glad our paths crossed! Looking forward to your next post when opportunity presents...
    c

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sensational photos! We have the hawks around here but don't know if they're a Red Tailed or not. Very majestic looking bird. That was a great photo of the one in flight! The little dove is precious. We have several species of the dove here and I always love to hear them coo. Wonderful photos.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos, and how neat that a dove approached you so fearlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I loved reading your post today! Much wisdom and food for further thought there!!! I also love the bird photos! My hubby and I love birds as well. You sure got some incredible shots of that hawk!!! Thanks for sharing them... and enjoy the visit with Jill's Aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jim, Good to reflect on these words, Our greatest treasure is not of this world I am happy to say, but still we need to keep pulling ourselves up and remember that....it's a daily challenge.
    Love the bird pictures, we spend a lot of time watching our garden birds entertaining us.
    Hugs Mau xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous pictures! I've been seeing a lot of eagles lately and wish I had my camera handy to catch them in flight. Truly and national treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great bird photos! Especially the hawk in flight! Love to watch the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photos!!! I took a walk today and just down the road from us in a neighbors yard is a HUGE nest. I looked up and sure enough a hawk peered out of it and then lifted off. I hope the neighbors appreciate the beauty of this creature as much as I do.

    Great color on the dove (middle photo) and how fun to be able to get all 3 shots!

    That's a great scripture to meditate upon! TFS and enjoy the visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you came back to share the awesome bird photos, Jim! You know I love them and, in fact, I think we shared a red-tailed hawk on the same day!! They are incredibly beautiful and your shots are fantastic, especially the one in flight!! Have a great weekend! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very thouught provoking post Jim-and some beautifuul photographs ;)
    Have a lovely day,hugs,Nessa x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photos are stunning Jim - love all the beautiful birds:) A very lovely post about treasures too - hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow your photos are beautiful! I love the one of the bird flying what a fantastic shot! You have an amazing skill there along with your colouring :)
    Enjoy your family time,
    Vic x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love how your photos picked up the colors on the dove!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wondered why the one photo of the dove had a spot of coloring on her, so I'm glad you explained it. I had no ideas that doves were more than just gray, that they have some fancy they hide from us. Great photos of birds, and great words of wisdom. I sometimes wonder about people who are very attached to possessions as their treasures. It is nice enough to like them and appreciate them and be happy to have them, but if become dependent on them, if you define yourself by them.... wow, that's no good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so need to catch up on your posts but I am running out of time this morning. I love this inspiration - the quote and the comments and the bird pictures. I am coming back this weekend and making some more comments about this quote which I totally find inspiring! Wow!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.