Pages

Followers

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

March 26, 2014 Knowledge

Knowledge is nothing without the wisdom to know its meaning

Thomas Carlyle Quote

I had to stop and think about this one for a bit. There is a great deal of knowledge in the world today. It pervades everything and is so readily available it is scary. The internet is a virtual information goldmine. Information and directions on how to do anything are a keyboard away from anyone who cares to look. The problem is that most of it is cold and lifeless information. It is nothing more than that. It is like a book without a teacher. No human moral values attached. To have true knowledge there must be the wisdom to understand the knowledge beyond the words. Knowledge benefits all when wisely practiced. Solomon was the best example I know of in the bible. 2 Chronicles 1:10-12 " Therefore give me wisdom and knowledge to act as leader of this people, for how otherwise could such a great people as yours be governed? ‘Since that is what you want,’ God said to Solomon, ‘since you have asked, not for riches, treasure, honour, the lives of your enemies, or even for a long life, but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people of whom I have made you king, therefore wisdom and knowledge are granted you. I give you riches too, and treasure, and honour such as no king had before you and none will have after you.'

The New Jerusalem Bible. (1985). (2 Ch 1:10–12). New York: Doubleday.


Wisdom is the subject of the next post. 

Before I go any further I would like to correct something from my post for Laughter. Pops from http://popscards.blogspot.com/ informed me that the images I used are still available at Saturated Canary. Thank you Pops. It is much appreciated. I do have several other images from them. I would like to share one of them and an image that has driven me crazy for the past week. In fact that is the one I will share first.

This image is from Technique Junkies. This was a challenge for many reason. First of all I rarely like an image that already has light shadows present. It makes it difficult to decide where the light is actually coming from. This is important because the shadows rarely are complete. Other much lighter shadows will also be present and need to be identified. 
Copic Colors: Skin R00, R000, R0000, RV0000 Hair YR30, E41  Eyes E34, R20, C00   Lips RV11   Dress G0000, W0   Hat T3

I broke the colors down to show that the colors are fairly straight forward depending on the skin tone desired. It actually took 9 stamped images and 6 times coloring to to get this image. These images stamp rather dark and that is a problem. I had to roll the Mementos ink onto the stamp to get it to stamp evenly and legibly on several kinds of paper. Next was getting the skin tones to be just right and not over done. Again the different papers gave different results with the exact same Copic Colors. That last step is where all the problems happen. Skin tone, shadows and blending are critical to this image. I am not totally satisfied with the results but for now it is done. Consider this a mini tutorial on what to look for and what to expect.

On to something a bit easier. Another Saturated Canary Image. These images remind me of the Precious Moments line. Those big eyes and cute poses. Love at first site.
Copics Colors: R81, YR24, RV23, R29, BG72, R85, BG23, R00, R000, R0000, E0000, E34

These images are easy to color and are so cute. If you could give one of these cuties a hug I bet you wouldn't hesitate. I would if it were possible. 

Well, another post is completed. Certainly hope you enjoyed it, even with the technical stuff. I  had fun presenting it to you for your inspection. As always do your best and above all LOVE THE DETAILS. They make all the difference in what you create.




24 comments:

  1. Delightful post as always...something to enjoy, something to ponder. (Pondering gets hard some days, ya know???). Your little girl is so cute, and great coloring. I understood exactly what you meant about #1 though. Those stamps are difficult at best. I have several from Stampland, never had the courage to stamp 'em up. They looked great when I saw them at a show, watched the Stampland lady do her bit with 'em. But then when I tried, nope. So they are in a binder. My heirs will get them (probably toss 'em too). I think your effort turned out really well, because you got the nuances of the facial color great, and loved the light teal tones in her costume. So you did a fab job on both images. Yes, paper does make all the difference, and I have the same problem with inking at times. Sometimes it helps to brayer the ink over the image...sometimes not. Sometimes you just gotta hold your mouth just right too. Or not! Happy day. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post today it seems wisdom is in a short supply in the world :). Gorgeous cards, wonderful coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your lady looks very well colored and I can see the light and shading really well. I think the skin and hair are what troubles people the most. I really like how you did the hair and let the light fall perfectly on the one side.
    Your big-eyed girl is really a cutie. I bet Jill can't wait to make cards with these images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous colouring:) I'm still learning and practising lol great blog post huggles Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think all that work on the first one paid off great! Very well colored and love that way it really looks like the light is coming from that one side. I can see why it'd be difficult to color, but think you did wonderfully.
    Of course the image from Saturated Canary as adorable and again, well colored. Those images always make me smile and you've brought he to life!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your comments about knowledge vs wisdom!! Your colouring is as ever wonderful - I love using chalks/pastels on pre shaded images (especially digis) as they are easily 'corrected' with an eraser.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post about wisdom, your really good with writing! I really love how you colored the first image I honestly thought it was printed at first! Worth all that stamping and copic colouring the skin tone is amazing! I love the saturated canary image she does look so cute and your right I think anyone would hug her :)
    Have a lovely day
    Vic x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely image the skin tones are great. I'm curious about the size and how it looked before coloring.
    Very interesting...your thoughts on wisdom-knowledge, there are somethings I know...like my faith...it's deeper...a connection...then there are beliefs...that are debatable.Have a great weekend! Carole

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done on both images. I love the vintage style as I rarely go that route. The SC image is the same one I used for my DGD's 5th birthday card. Isn't she sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you colored both of these! Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey IC, doubt there will be a Blog-I-nition book, but feel free to contribute any that you feel would be pertinent! I'm trying to give credit to whomever it is due, for all these blog-a-nyms. You can guess that Darnell was my inspiration, yes? Hope all is well up there with you & Jill. It's dreary, gray & drizzling here in the Upstate SC area today. I'm playing catchup with comments, then have to get at this blogger aggravation again. Darnell had a knowledgeable friend email me some help, so I wanted to do the comments before I tangle this blogger grrrr...again. Then I don't want to fool with anything after getting frustrated with it. I keep saying "well, it's a free service. whaddaya expect?". Happy wkend to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on the skin tones, hair and dress! This reminds me of the old oil colored photographs. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post!! Made me stop & think!! Great coloring on the images. I really like the second one. I agree it reminds me of precious moments too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super post yet again Jim, always good food when I call xx
    Love the colouring as always, SC are adorable I have to admit.
    Xx hope you both have a great weekend.
    Hugs Mau xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another post filled with gems, both in words and visuals. The openness of a loving heart is the essence of all things - knowledge, wisdom, joy. Again, you've sparked much thought, especially in how to cultivate my own heart to be more open, more loving. Your images are nothing short of stunning, Jim. Your diligence and persistence in colouring the first in well-worth the keen eye, time and talent invested. It is gorgeous! Your sweet girl image, coloured beautifully, certainly does evoke 'hugs.' Thank you, again, for your comments on my site. I, too, have memories of playing bingo with my grandma - I barely able to keep up with the caller on my four cards, while she deftly followed along with upwards of 20. Each time I see ink daubers used on cards today, I am reminded of my grandma's and her friends' "bingo finesse." Happy thoughts...
    c

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your comments on wisdom are spot on! What good is knowledge if you don't have wisdom or the right heart. It gets you nothing. Even wisdom without love is no good either.

    Lovely work on the images. I would have give up on the shaded image after a couple of tries so hoorah on your patience. Love saturated canary images - they are precious!

    Have a wonderful week my friend - hugz to you and Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore your coloring, this is one big HUG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The post about knowledge is definetly one to think about! I agree about images that are already shaded! The one I used on my book card was like that! You have colored both image very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your colouring is absolutely stunning! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for sharing how you went about coloring "the big hat" girl! I am learning that it's not a bad thing to mess up with my first image and start again. I love your sweet girl with the balloon too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did a fantasic coloring job on this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jim! Finally got here to your site. Lovely! I really enjoy how you combine 'food for thought' along with lots of crafty inspiration. You now have yet another follower. :-) I'm going to be going back as I have time to see all of your previous posts as I know I will enjoy every minute of it. And I have to say, that I am VERY blessed to be able to see all of your creations in person when I come over for 'craft night' to spend time with Jill & Cherie on Thursdays. Seeing all of your creations 'in real life' is just awesome!
    Hugs to you and Jill! See you both tomorrow!

    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the thoughtful look on that imagine. I think you've done very well with the lighting and shadows. Those are not easy to master and you've got a good grasp on them for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just found your blog- loving your beautiful write up, and your fabulous coloring!!!!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.