Pages

Followers

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

February 11, 2014 The Journey

Solitude is not isolating but an opportunity to talk with Jesus.

Quote for Today:  Were I to wander with no purpose to the thoughts of my mind, the eternal force of God's hand would ever guide me on my way. (From my book) Copyrighted

Today is a new beginning. It contains lessons of yesterday and the promises of tomorrow. The journey is only guaranteed for the moment we are in, not for what is yet to be. We often find ourselves facing obstacles to our faith. Everyone faces them. Sometimes we find ourselves in a place of personal let down, a vacuum. Any number of things can cause this. How do you treat this and where do you go with it? Who do you blame? Should you blame God? His purpose is far above ours and not within our understanding. This is a form of solitude and an opportunity to talk with Jesus. Some will close themselves off because the result was not what they wanted. My answer will be a question. Where do you want me to go from here Lord? The answer might not be fourth coming but you will be answered. I have waited years for an answer and am still waiting for some answers. Luke 11:9 “ So I say to you: Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you.” Remember, it took multiple tries for the door to be opened. Answers are provided at the proper time, his time not ours. Don’t turn your back on Him because the answer was not immediate. It WILL come in HIS time.
I thought maybe it is time for some spring thoughts. It is obvious that just about all of us northern latitude dwellers need some warm sunshine. With yet another snow storm looming we need some HOPE that SPRING is on the way. First let me say that where I live the promise of spring is when the male Northern Cardinals begin to sing their territorial song. I have such a cardinal doing just that. That brings a coast to coast smile every time I hear it. This does not mean spring is just going to happy tomorrow but it gives a spot of hope that it will be beginning soon. Sunshine amidst a foot of snow and ice is reason to celebrate. I love photography of our feathered friends. I recently shared some of them privately and they were well received. So! Guess what? Right! Today is yippee, the birds are coming.
Since my favorite winter bird is the cardinal and he is singing the song of spring, he will be first. 



I was filling the feeder when I stopped to take this picture. Decked out in his finest he was singing his territorial song. Beautiful bird any time of the year.


Here he is on the feeder. This is what he was waiting for.

  
His mate is always there when he shows up. Difficult shot. She is first to take off with any sudden moves or noises.

The next series is of a bluebird that was kind enough to pose for me. She was not afraid of me so I was able to get fairly close to take her pictures. That was my explanation to the inn keeper where we were staying at the time. She had tried and couldn’t get this kind of picture. Enjoy.





Next is a fun picture and a VERY hard one to get. This is by, the way, our smallest falcon at 9” long. As a teen I was privileged to hold one of these little beauties on my hand. It had flown into a window of a friend and been dazed. It was released when it recovered.


This was a shot taken from 50 or so feet. He was at the top of a pine tree on the neighbor’s property. This is a favored spot for birds of prey. I have a bunch of pictures using this spot.. Note the very distinct facial markings.
Next and finally a woodpecker. This is not just any woodpecker. This is the largest woodpecker in North America. The Pileated Woodpecker is 16” long with a wing span of 29” this is one large bird. The photograph and the one of the Bluebird was taken at the Feathered Nest Inn in Woodstock, Virginia.



  
I hope you liked the spring/summer detour. I very much enjoyed bringing it to you. I may share some more thoughts of spring in the near future. As always, LOVE THE DETAILS

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos of the birds! Love the cardinals - and just this morning at our bird feeder we probably had about 12 of them. They're so beautiful and really bring beauty to a dreary winter day.
    The blue birds - we seldom see those down this way, but they're so pretty too. AND, since blue is my favorite color, I just gotta love 'em!
    I've never seen (or held) a falcon! Beautiful and majestic bird!
    Hope y'all don't get snowed/iced in up your way with this horrid storm on the way! Stay safe - and cook chili! LOL!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful bird shots! That bluebird knows she's a beauty the way she/he poses. We have a pair of bluebirds coming to the feeders during this cold weather. The Pileated Woodpecker is awesome. A friend of mine, also in PA, got some shots of one near her house. We've heard what we think is one of these magnificent creatures in the woods behind our house but haven't seen one. I love watching the birds. They're such awesome creatures. One of God's magnificent creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these birds are gorgeous. We have a lot of cardinals. The Eastern bluebird is my favorite and it may be because I don't see them often enough. There are so many houses around and they like a lot of territory, plus there are cats around. Not mine. There is an open field beyond the woods behind us. If I owned it, I would put out a bluebird house.

    I took this picture January, 2011 in my neighbor's back yard when we had a big snow. http://benzistampz.blogspot.com/2011/01/no-card-just-snow-and-birds.html I counted six cardinals in the bottom photo. May be more. They are kind of hard to see.

    Several years ago, hubby and I heard whacking away on the trees behind our house. We looked outside and the wood chips were falling. It was a pileated woodpecker. We only saw two and they weren't around for long before they disappeared. I heard someone say they found one that had been hit by a car about 2 miles from here and I'm afraid it was one of the ones behind our house. How sad.

    We had a snow today. It covered the ground and was very pretty. It melted before the day was over. I think we will get ice and snow tonight and tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all great photos Jim, and a much-needed hint of spring coming..............SOME day! We had one of those woodpeckers in our yard a couple years ago too, and they're much larger than I ever imagined they'd be! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did enjoy these pictures so very much. In case you haven't picked up on it, I love the red cardinals. Love the bluebirds too, but the last years, we've not had any visit. I think my neighbors bewitched all of 'em away from us! And I've never seen a falcon before either! You had some totally fantastic pictures for us to enjoy. Also enjoyed reading your thoughts, and indeed we do have to remember...with God, there is always Hope if you have Faith. He doesn't let us down, but His ways & plans are not ours...just so very much better than we could aspire to ask for. Thanks for the lovely photos & good thoughts this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photographs - we have none of those birds here, so it is always great to see photos of birds that are often mentioned, but that I have never seen. We currently have thrushes and blackbirds bathing in our birdbath just near the back of the house. They are also causing havoc in my vegetable garden as they scratch around for insects....

    The Tui and Bellbirds are our harbingers of spring, they are both N.Z. natives.

    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  7. The birds are lovely Jim and I do believe Spring is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adore the photos of the birds, such a welcoming sight! My favorite is the cardinal too. I have never seen on in Washington State, though I so have a story about cardinals. We went to Missouri to my husband's mothers for Christmas holiday, it being my first time, I expected to see many birds, especially cardinals in Missouri. The days went on and finally it was time to wait for the ride to the airport. I was secretly bummed that I had not seen a cardinal the entire time, and I looked every time I went out. As I gathered my suitcase and put on my coat, I glanced outside, in the tree just outside the window, a pair of cardinals sat. It was like they were saying, we couldn't let you go home disappointed.
    I smiled and went to turn and tell my husband, they flew away. I beamed I was so happy.

    Anyways, just a little rambling I had... Have a wonderful evening, thanks for sharing your wonderful pics!

    PS I have never seen the miniature falcon before, and never heard of it either, cool post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh these are just gorgeous! That Bluebird is so very pretty.
    After our snowfall last night, I could really do with some spring-time round about now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jim, you shared some of these pictures with me before and I always love to see them again. It reminds me that spring will be coming soon. I remember us taking the pictures of the falcon in the pine tree. I still have my pics, too. The little blue bird is adorable! And the woodpecker and cardinals are gorgous! Can't wait to see what new pics spring will bring for us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning photos, Jim! I LOVE birds and these are outstanding!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.