Pages

Followers

Monday, January 20, 2014

January 21, 2014 Slow and Easy

Rushing around only makes the mind forgetful.

The Quote for today:  "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia."
Woody Allen (1935), US film director    (On September 9, 1828, Leo Tolstoy was born)

Call me old fashioned. I find today's written conversations perplexing. Acronyms abound in business and the every day. I have no idea what most of them mean. Some of them have gone so far as to replace the word(s) they were meant to shorten. What would a piece art look like if it were turned into an acronym? Shudder!!! Sorry, not even going to try. Salvador Dali might know. A lot of his art looks like an acronym. Can you figure it out?

You have to read this post to get the most out of it. The pictures are nice and there are no acronyms used. Hate those things.

Today I would like to share one of my passions. We are not going to get technical. I just want to show off a project I completed some years ago. Here is a picture of the completed project.



Looks a bit like a canon but it is a home built 10" reflecting telescope. All parts with the exception of the tube and optics are home made. The base board is hand carved. 



The white circle at the bottom represents the sun. on closer inspection you will see (from left to right) Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, The sun, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
Sorry but Pluto is just too small to get in.


Merury and mars are virtually invisible in this photo but they are there. This is all part of what is know as the Dobson mount. I modified mine to allow it to follow the stars (Manually) more easily.


The "A" raised platform is at a 40 degree tilt to point at the north star thus providing easy tracking.  Lying flat it is very compact.


The tube is quite long and needs to be  counter weighted so I poured two counter weights to use depending whether a large finder scope is used or not. 


One weight for normal and two weights if a scope is attached. Nifty and easy to do. Now don't laugh but I used four toilet flanges to make the bearings for the telescope. 


They were trimmed to save weight and not look like toilet flanges. There is a diagonal spider that holds the secondary mirror. It reflects the light coming from the Main 10" mirror to the eyepiece on the side of the telescope. That is the 10" parabolic mirror at the other end of the tube.


The eyepiece is store bought. I  wouldn't think of attempting to create on of these. Far to technical for me. The one you see here provides low power and a wide field of view that makes it easier to locate the desired target. The  black circle around the eyepiece focuser (called a rack and pinion focuser) is to reduce or eliminate stray  light. The inside of the tube is painted with a flat  black paint to reduce stray light as well.


The platform base and the fork mount that hold the telescope need a bearing to make it as friction free as possible. Between the ground plate and the forked telescope mount is a Mylar plastic plate and teflon sheet bearings that reduce friction when operating the telescope. 


The result is a telescope that works well enough and provides a lot of fun that is shared with several of the neighbors, weather permitting. Of course that has not been very often lately. This is only one of several telescopes I have constructed. The others may be featured at some later date, after the readership recovers.

Now that I have lost most of my audience it is time to conclude this post. I am thinking about showing some stitchery in the next post. That will have to remain a surprise for now. If you read this far thanks. If not, oh well. Expect the unexpected and LOVE THE DETAILS.

6 comments:

  1. OK - you lost me on some of the technical stuff, but great job, all the same!!
    Blessings
    Maxine
    P.S. I hate those acronyms too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the acronyms, but even worse is when people replace part of a word with a number, or put "U" or "Y" instead of "you" or "why". Really, really gets on my nerves! I do my best to ignore it, but somewhere deep inside that little girl that wanted to be a writer stomps her foot and screams in frustration every time. Luckily, I can often silence her with chocolate.

    Love your telescope! Very impressive work. My husband has wanted to build one for years now, but unfortunately we live in an area surrounded by light pollution, so there is very little point. But as soon as we win the lottery, it'll be perfect for our house in the country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmmmmm.....this is certainly not a card but very interesting just the same. Have you spotted any aliens out there in space? You're very talented and now we're going to see some stitchery. I'll be watching for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your telescope took lots of insight to create. Unfortunately you lost me on all of the points of interest, but well done regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um......well, I have to admit I really thought it was a canon after looking at the first photo - but a pretty one! This is fantastic and you're so smart to be able to create something like that. You're a man of many talents it seems. Great telescope but only look at the stars with it and not all the neighbors!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I admit it...when you first told me you were going to post these pics...I thought you lost it! (Because I thought you were going to do a copic/card blog...LOL! But I'm glad you did... So now you know that I'm not the only one who gets lost with all this techical stuff...LOL!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. SALES, ADVERTISEMENTS OF ANY KIND, OBJECTIONABLE LANGUAGE OF ANY KIND WILL BE DELETED. Thank You to those who spend a few moments to comment. It is much appreciated. I will try to return your comment by commenting on your blog. For me to do so you must make your comment window a popup window. Thanks.